Vintage Max Prototype

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Max Prototype

Vintage Max Prototype

I was up at Recreatives today and Hey_Dan78 and I snapped some pictures of a very early and rare prototype Max II that DID NOT USE THE T-20. As Dan put it, we felt like explorers opening up the tomb of King Tut for the first time. It was very exciting seeing this Max for the first time in many years. It had been sitting in the racks probably for the past 35 years or so and it showed because it was absolutely covered with dust........and it the dust on it was sooooo thick. This Max was very light (about 440lbs without an engine). It drove with a system of pulleys and lawn tractor V belts. It had reverse and forward gear, true 6 wheel drive, and one side could be driven forward, while the other side was driven in reverse. The drive system worked by pulling the levers to release or engage tension on the drive belts by sliding the pulleys on the shaft. The steering levers moved from side to side independently to shift the machine from forward to reverse gear. Take a look at the old balloon 1 piece 3 lug floatation tires on it........they were made by BFGoodrich and they had "Max Recreatives Inc." molded on the sidewall. This Max had an ABS plastic body and it looked like it was set up for a JLO single 2 stroke engine. It was definetley driven many years ago because there was mud on the bottom of it, as well as some small scratches. The last picture shows the vintage prototype Max II next to some new Max II's that were being shipped out to Ireland. This machine sure looked like a very unique, and well engineered machine that never made it into production. I hope everyone here enjoys this thread about this historic Max AATV.

Last edited by Mike; 01-02-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Link multiple photos with thumbnails
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Jeff,

That is really neat to find something so vintage. Did the folks at RI have any interest in restoring it back to drivable form. Awsome write up!

Awesome find, that's too cool! You mean that you guys didn't throw an engine in there and get us some video? I'm disappointed

Could you imagine if those went into production. I'm sure every older Max that you found would need $300 worth of belts.

Mike, and Mike, They didnt mention anything about bringing back into driveable condition, but I think it would be great publicity if they put a 14HP Vanguard in there and brought it to AATV events. It sure would draw quite a crowd! It didnt look like it would really need too much work to get going again, just a good dusting, some grease, and put in the engine. Dan and I did toy with the idea of just throwing an engine in there, haha. It wouldnt be all that difficult. There was a 6x6 built by a company called Pettit Manufacturing close to Buffalo, NY in Wolcott, NY way back when, called the Scat. I spoke to Don and he told me that the Scat has an almost similar drive system with all of the belts. By the way, thanks for setting up all of the pictures as thumbnails, Mike. I didnt know how to do that, but Im glad you did.....it makes everything look nice and organized.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

How lucky are you guys that not only is RI in your backyard but the guys there let you run around in the warehouse and let you play with whatever you want?

Thanks for sharing this Swift.
    Banned

George, there are really good people there at the factory. Im very happy that I can share this stuff with all of the great people on this site. It is so nice to be able to live so close to the factory.....I try to make it up there as much as possible. When you come back up to the Buffalo area to pick up your frame from Mike you should meet up with all of us and go to RI!

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    George, there are really good people there at the factory. Im very happy that I can share this stuff with all of the great people on this site. It is so nice to be able to live so close to the factory.....I try to make it up there as much as possible. When you come back up to the Buffalo area to pick up your frame from Mike you should meet up with all of us and go to RI!
    COUNT ME IN!!!

Can I bring my son and my camera too?
    Banned

Sure, maybe you can even pick up a 29HP liquid Kawasaki to put in one of your Chiefs! Im sure your son would enjoy that powerplant in his machine.

Let me guess, I'll bet the bottom tub and the top are still interchangeable?
    That is cool to see how it all started. Did you find out what year it was? I'd like to go play in that warehouse too. Way cool!

Whipper

Whipper, you're right on the money......top and bottom are still interchangable. Come on up and join us for our next factory vist!

+ Reply to Thread