use a hockey puck for a synthetic bearing or axle extension?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: use a hockey puck for a synthetic bearing or axle extension?

use a hockey puck for a synthetic bearing or axle extension?

Could a hockey puck be bored out and drilled and be used as a synthetic outer bearing? Looks like hockey pucks are made out of vulcanized rubber,I did a search on uhmw and found some types are made with rubber.with hockey pucks costing $1.50 each it sure would be a cheap alternative.Hockey pucks have been used as body mounts,tires are made of vulcanized rubber,A grease fitting could be added.Just a thought ,heck a brass bushing could be installed.Any thoughts?

The synthetic bearing that people talk about is very misleading as to what it is. It does not replace standard bearings. It is added to the outside of the outer bearing/flange assembly to act as a bearing extension. I imagine that hockey pucks single or stacked could have a similar effect of the "synthetic bearings" if you added a brass color to it to act as a bushing, but don't expect it to replace your outer triple sealed bearings.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    The synthetic bearing that people talk about is very misleading as to what it is. It does not replace standard bearings. It is added to the outside of the outer bearing/flange assembly to act as a bearing extension. I imagine that hockey pucks single or stacked could have a similar effect of the "synthetic bearings" if you added a brass color to it to act as a bushing, but don't expect it to replace your outer triple sealed bearings.
    I have six UHMW bearings mounted as outside bearings, no leaks, carries the axles well, and no wear and tear so far. To be frank, I was somewhat skeptical when I first put them on, but now with 160+ hours on the machine, I've been converted.

I was switching out triple sealed bearings from 80-150 hours of usage, and I'm well beyond that now and the Adair synthetic bearings are still going strong. I hope to go 500 hours before I pull them to inspect for wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I have six UHMW bearings mounted as outside bearings, no leaks, carries the axles well, and no wear and tear so far. To be frank, I was somewhat skeptical when I first put them on, but now with 160+ hours on the machine, I've been converted.

I was switching out triple sealed bearings from 80-150 hours of usage, and I'm well beyond that now and the Adair synthetic bearings are still going strong. I hope to go 500 hours before I pull them to inspect for wear.
    I called Adair and talked to Mike a month or so ago as I wanted to use the "synthetic bearings" during a splined axle upgrade on my Attex. I was told that the intended use was as an extension and was told they are not designed to replace the outer bearings just but just act as a "cage" type device. I would have ordered them that day if I was told they would work for what I was doing or wanted to do with them.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

That's interesting, I know they are still in the experimental phase and maybe some folks had findings that were not as good as mine. I know that the Adair folks handle things conservatively and if they recommend otherwise, then they would know best.

I'll soldier on with my synthetics. I don't think I could give them higher marks. If you compare them to a triple sealed bearing, the seals don't really amount to much.

Drew if you haven't installed the regular bearings yet, give these a try either as a stand alone bearing or as an axle cage in conjunction with standard bearings.

yes I would keep the standard outer bearing and use the hockey pucks as extensions to add support and keep the axle from bending.The jackshaft on my machine just uses the bronze bushings that are greasible,that where I got the idea to add the bushing.I have seen the adair argo extensions that are predrilled I might use them instead.

Hi Guys
    Sorry to butt in, think I am needing a strip down all new bearing soon and reading this making me think what bearings to use, you guys got any pictures of what your talking about?
    Richie

ATTEX BEARING EXTENSION PICS {STOCK ATTEX FLANGE PATTERN}

I am putting 2 each axle on my sons attex
    I got the pre drilled 1 from adair argo but the attex bearing upgrade does not match the patterns drilled. I am attempting on drilling and boring 1 out myself
    If I worked at the plastic place I used to this would be real easy with the cnc router

jeffery9076,ya beat me to it,lol. iI just found this in the gallery. Richie,these are what they're talking about.

Hi
    So are these instead of the other bearings that are fitted? seem the outer bearings go before the inner?

+ Reply to Thread