Oring axle seals

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oring axle seals

Oring axle seals

Just a thought. What would be wrong with having a small oring groove cut in the axle where the outter bearing rides? Then you could have a small oring sandwhiched between the axle and the outer bearing's inner race to seal out the water.

It's not worth the effort. The majority of water enters when the cork seal dries out and creates a a bearing flange leak or when the bearing seal wears out. a little sealant or grease on the axle works just as well. it's also not a good Idea putting a stress point on the axle at the point where the greatest load is.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    I like to put a very small strip of 3M ribbon caulk between the locking collar and the outer bearing race, where the race meets the axle. It seals that area well, doesn't promote rust like silicone does (silicone sealants contain stearic acid and causes unpainted metal to rust) Also, if you use the Ribbon Caulk between the flanges, and inner flange and tub, and you will not need to use the cork or rubber gaskets anymore, it has been my experience that they only squish out when you torque the flange bolts anyway. And yes I did say TORQUE the flange bolts.

+ Reply to Thread