hustler chain tensioners ???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hustler chain tensioners ???

hustler chain tensioners ???

I'm new here but, I had a question on my hustler, the round white plastic chain tensioners are they suppose to have a regular standard bolt through them or like a smooth collared bolt, because my tensioner just has a standard bolt mith some washers and it doesn;t free spin??

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Thats the way mine were on both machines I now own. I had one several years back and it was also the same. Word of advice: toss that junk and build some, unless you like constantly tightening your chains! There are several members on this site who have already done this (myself included) do a search and you should get several hits.

brushcutter, thanks for the advice I guess I'll try an idler gear with a spring tensioner

I don't think that would be a good idea, but you can try it. You see, most spring loaded tensioners are designed for apps where the chain moves in one direction only. Since ours move forwards and backwards, the spring will most likely not be strong enough to withstand the force of the chain when you change direction, and therefore it will be able to slacken itself.

6x6World member boncrshr made a nice chain tensioner set up on his Hustler 950 and it works great.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    6x6World member boncrshr made a nice chain tensioner set up on his Hustler 950 and it works great.
    Right you are JP. I built mine similar to his but unlike him I didn't use springs for the above stated reason. I used the nylon rollers, bored them for a slightly loose fit on 5/8" round bar, drilled 3/8" holes through at the ends, made long bolts from 3/8 all thread. I then cut square tubing to fit between the inner and outer frame members, drilled to accomodate the 3/8" bolts, welded nuts to the sq tubing and assembled to check for fit. Once I was sure of the proper fit on everything all 6 were welded in place. These use jam nuts to lock them in place once the chains are tightened.

Do they work? Well... after initial run in on the new chains, I quit tightening them. No need for it!

The only regret I have is that Scott didn't post pics of his BEFORE I had the frame back in my 950, so I had to pull the frame back out. BTW, this can be done w/o pulling the frame, just keep a bucket of water handy to cool the tub as you weld, and don't get things too hot. I think the existing cross members could possibly be used, but since I had already built all of mine I never checked to be sure.

Brushcutter,
    Did you build the above mentioned tensioner for both the front and rear drive chains? The front looks like it would work really nice but the rear chains don't leave alot of room on my machine.

This is a video of Brushcutter,s custom built chain tensioners. This will give you a visual idea of what he is talking about.

This is a chain tensioner that the forum member boncrshr made for his Hustler 950. Once the initial chain stretch was finished after installing the new chain,,chain adjustments afterwards were hardly needed. These custom made chain tensioners worked great. Boncrshr set the spring tension tight on the chains, but if the chains needed to move upwards, the springs would let off some tension. What was nice about these chain tensioners, is that they always kept the proper chain tension if the chain ever needed to move. Having a chain tensioner with springs, also prevents a lot of premature chain stretch. After boncrshr and I went riding all weekend, I,d have to adjust the chains on my Max IV, but he would not.

Chain tensioners pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

These are some different chain tensioners on a another Hustler.

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/hust...r-concept.html
    Last edited by mudbug3; 03-24-2010 at 10:03 PM.

thanks to everybodys advice it's very helpful plus i'm not wasting money on designes that don't work thanks guys

+ Reply to Thread