homemade tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: homemade tracks

homemade tracks

That looks a little too heavy duty for AATV use, but it is a good idea for tractors or industrial equipment. I know there are skid steer loader tracks like that. I'd still use the chain, but then rivet pieces of rubber conveyor belt between them like Amphicat did on their factory tracks.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

You guys got me thinking about homemade tracks. I was staring at tractors while driving through the country and thought: If I were going to make tracks I would find a big set of tractor tires, same diameter as my six wheels or a little tighter, and a little wider than my tires. Cut the side walls off with my tigersaw. Then put some guides on made out of angle or something. If flexibility was a problem, then I would drill holes in between the tread for flexibility. And who knows. Those big tractor treads put on backwards might even swim.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

AMPHIBIOUS DREW. i am going to make a set of tracks like the ones jp posted.already measured for the chain looks like 50ft will do for the outer and inner runs.going to run an add on free cycle to find the conveyor belt material.

MarshallEpp, Thats great. You'll have to post pictures when your done. I'm all for making something cool out of what others consider trash. I'll keep an eye out for some free tractor tires to try and make a set too, then we can test them and compare our results. I'm thinking I just need 2 big tractor tires and I'll just make a conecting piece somehow. That way I don't have to be too particular on the diameter. Besides, I couldn't figure out how to get the tracks on the tires in my head without some sort of connector.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Hello,

Time to start thinking about winter. Could someone post the dimensions of the belt cross sections on the amphicat tracks.
    Also what are the dimensions of the original tires on the Amphicats that these tracks would have been used on?

Thank you for your time.

Cheers, Ryan

What if you were to build something like in the OP with Aluminum?

+ Reply to Thread