Changing Bearings - How hard on a scale of 1- 10

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing Bearings - How hard on a scale of 1- 10

Changing Bearings - How hard on a scale of 1- 10

On a scale of 1 -10. 10 being the hardest. How hard is it to take the axles out of a 2001 Max IV and change the bearings? I can do most mechanical work by myself.

It is a very easy job. The main problem that can make the job more difficult is when you have bearings that are frozen/rusted to the axles. Outside of that, just the fact that you have to do the same procedure six times can get a little tedious / time consuming but it's a fairly simple process.

I don't know how to rate the process on a scale of 1-10 as that is pretty subjective but if you check out the how-to video for changing the bearings in a Max II, you can get a sense of what the job entails: How to replace bearings in a Max 6x6 ATV

Depending on whether you have solid or splined axles on your Max IV, the process may be a little different when it comes to loosening the locking collars on the bearings but overall, it is very similar.

Very Nice video Mike!

2001 maxIV will have set screw axles. To get the setscrews out you will most likely need an acetelene torch. The Allen heads need to be cleaned out then the hub around the setscrews needs to be heated dull red to release the red locktite. If they don't release re heat and try again. Rear sprockets may be snapring like the newer models. I've found some axles slip right out while others have to be cut into pieces to remove. It depends on the bearings and sprockets being seized to the axle. If heat is used I usually pull the chains and run some water into the tub to keep something hot from melting through the bottom. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    A motor swap would be a bit easier to do......so call it an 11. At least on the first axle, they will get easier after that.

Mike, Great video. it's great you put out videos like that. I've seen that video about 5 times and think it is a great tool for everybody. Buggyman, I think your right about the first time thing being an 11. I am not planning on doing the axles yet, but know its something that is coming and I will have to do it myself.

If you have time before the change it's probably best to start spraying the parts you're intending on changing now and again. pb blaster and kroil both are great products, if you can spray them and also do some driving that would help with how they work.

I recently had to replace the front left bearings on a hustler 880 that i had only owned for a day. The previous owner had left the pin loose, and the axle was able to move ever so slightly in the sprocket tube after the machine was driven for a few mins. Dis-assembly was a breeze. Im getting ready to do another axle, and think i might try the same thing again.
    "coming through like a herd of turtles"

+ Reply to Thread