Jet Drive on Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet Drive on Argo

Jet Drive on Argo

Hi,
    I'm studing a solution to have a better speed on water on my Avenger 2005 and I'm considering to put a jet drive taken from a jet ski and powering it by the argo's engine.
    Anyone have tryed to do this before?
    Thanks

Luca

Sounds cool if you get it to work. I put a bs 18hp outboard swamp, I didn't like how the ride was, though I going to turn over.

There is a outboard jet, you maybe $ ahead with that try. Good luck!

being as you'll never get "on step", your goal is to provide forward thrust and plow your machine through the water. You avenger will always draft the same amount. The benefit of any kind of jet can't really be realized. Typically you have enought distance from the underside of the belly to the bottom of the tires/tracks that you can drop a prop outboard down and really not lose any draft or shallower running ability. A prop outboard provides much more thrust for a given size, actually has a decent reverse, and is far less likely to get clogged or have cavitation issues. Not to mention it would avoid having to cut another hull penetration that an inboard jet would require. There are air-cooled outboard props as well as electric thrust props (if sized big enough) that do a good job. 2-strokes are light, small ones don't use very much gas at all, and they can be carried any place convenient while laid on their sides.

I have found this jet drive:
    http://s.sbito.it/images/54/5430775831.jpg

It's a berkeley very compact, 20 cm wide, 60 long inside. Built to be moved by a 25hp engine like mine.
    The very good thing that I want to do is to use only one engine because the use of two engine (main engine and outboard) is very frustrating, it's not really conforteable to jump in the back when on water and jump forward on terrain. I want to remain on front seat, enter in the water alone and run immediatly at almost at 8-10 miles per hour. This is what I want to have.
    In this moment I'm using an old 10 hp mercs 2 stroke that is dooing a good job and is very light in weight, but I have to carry two tanks, oil ecc.ecc. and two stroke outboard are very expensive to run. 5 liters per hour. And pull at max 3,5 mph!! 5,5 km/h circa! Very slow!

I have an experience of 60 hours by water with Argo + Outboard, I know what I'm talking!!
    The best problem is the transmission shaft from the engine to the jet drive... they will run at 4500 rpm!! Interesting work...

Sounds very interesting. the Idea of not jumping front to back as you said , is one i would like. Regardless of any gain in speed, the ease of use would be great. maybe work it off a lever on the dash to engage. Have you thought about mud and stuff clogging up the intake?

The main propulsion problem I foresee you having is both cavitation and drive as the Avenger naturally sits high in the rear, unless you can figure a way to adjust the jet height it'll drag in the mud and either cavitate or just spray a big roost in water and not propel.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    The main propulsion problem I foresee you having is both cavitation and drive as the Avenger naturally sits high in the rear, unless you can figure a way to adjust the jet height it'll drag in the mud and either cavitate or just spray a big roost in water and not propel.
    In The mud I will use just the wheel but in open water I will use the jet drive. The sits of the avenger depend primery by how the weight is located. With jet drive in the rear and the battery extra that I have mount, the avenger stay neutral because they together are 50 kg in the extreme rear. Plus I can put an extra fuel tank in the rear.
    Ther cavitation is impossible with jet drive, but I have to adgust the direction of the jet... you are right. But keep in mind that a water jet trust push also in open air! look this:

Hey that was on auction hunters last night. Allen tried it out, but they didn't seem to let Ton ride it for some reason.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I would like to see a jet drive work in an Argo, but I don't think it would work for me in my application. I've spent a few thousand hours running jetboats, and I believe debris ingestion will be a major problem. Weeds, rocks, sticks, leaves, ext..... ANYTHING sticking to the intake grate, or fouling the impeller will cause cavitation. A single leaf folded over a leading edge on your impeller will effect it. It's easy to deal with something like this with an OB Jet, but not so easy with an IB Jet assembly.

RD

+ Reply to Thread