Trans fluid

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trans fluid

Trans fluid

Hey all, I've had a problem with the lower plug on the Trans on my max II. Shane Kearny gave me advice of bigger tool solves the problem, tried it, and it worked. Fluid smells burnt, not bad but obviously due for a change. Or atleast topped off. How do I remove the fluid in the case? I'm really hoping the answer isn't what I think it is of pullin the Trans and dumping it out. That seems like the only feesable way to me. I'm just thinking if I need to top it off with X amounts of Trans fluid and X amounts of slip additive, I wouldn't be able to get the correct ratio with having the Trans empty to start from scratch. Thank you for any advice!
    Last edited by Mike; 07-12-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: moved thread from Max forum to Transmission forum

The fluid is supposed to be changed every 50 hours of use.....If it smells or looks burnt, you better change it.
    The drain plug as you know, is not on the bottom of the trans. The trans must be tilted to get the fluid out......OR tilt the whole machine.
    I like using synthetic ATF......the heat generated is hard on the fluid, and synthetic holds up to heat better. The limited slip additive is not needed with the synthetic fluids.

I spoke with another member at Ashtabula who is using 1 1/2 qt fluid in his racer... so a little extra fluid won't hurt. Just remember that alot of extra will hurt it.
    Attached Images

I thought synthetic oil was a no no in a t-20?

Quote Originally Posted by thejunkman View Post
    I thought synthetic oil was a no no in a t-20?
    Gear oil is the no no. synthetic atf is great.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Okay awesome! thank you! good to know about the synthetic atf! i'll grab some after work. And tilting the whole machine.....How I didnt think about that is beyond me, thanks for the tip! now I know it is on here somewhere, but to ease the search, I just pour the atf in the top hole until is starts coming out the bottom whole correct?

I know about gear oil but i thought synthetic made the bands slip??

I never had a machine with a t-20 but I had a bombardier bombi and it had a tranny with brake bands and this is the kind of oil that was recomended to me check the link.

Hy-Gard

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    The fluid is supposed to be changed every 50 hours of use.....If it smells or looks burnt, you better change it.
    The drain plug as you know, is not on the bottom of the trans. The trans must be tilted to get the fluid out......OR tilt the whole machine.
    I like using synthetic ATF......the heat generated is hard on the fluid, and synthetic holds up to heat better. The limited slip additive is not needed with the synthetic fluids.

I spoke with another member at Ashtabula who is using 1 1/2 qt fluid in his racer... so a little extra fluid won't hurt. Just remember that alot of extra will hurt it.

I just came back to look at your pics, sure wish I had my winch mounted so I could just raise up the front like that! You said synthetic ATF fluid, but your pic is of transfer case fluid, I thought t-case fluid was SAE90 rather than the thinner viscosity of ATF. Should I use the transfer case fluid or the ATF fluid?

The auto trakII fluid is an atf......no modern transfer cases use the 80-90wt.....even manual transmissions have gone to atf. the only thing that takes 80-90wt anymore is rear diffs and heavy equip(tractors etc.)
    Synthetic ATF will make the bands slip....smoother anyway. Your bands must slip to turn, and that creates heat.....heat damages the fluid, and synthetic holds up to the heat much better. It's that simple, no magic.
    Try it, and if you don't like it, switch back to the std atf with the additive.....no big deal.

Thanks buggyman i will try it

+ Reply to Thread