Auxiliary Fuel Pump Help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Auxiliary Fuel Pump Help

Auxiliary Fuel Pump Help

I have a 1985 Argo 8x8 with a 18hp Kohler Magnum. I was thinking about installing an auxiliary fuel pump because if my machine sits for more than a week I have to prime the carb in order to get it started and on steep hill climbs my engine starts to bog down. Other than that my engine runs fine. I was thinking of splicing in a inline electric fuel pump and wiring it with a switch. I would only turn it on before I started the engine and before hillclimbs. Has anyone ever done this before? What pressure should the pump run at? How many gph should the pump flow? Would the pump affect anything when it is not running? Any ideas on a fuel pump to use? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

*Paging McCoy*

McCoy had the same problem as you with extreme hill climbs. He did just as you are planning and hasn't had a problem since. He just flips it on before any really steep hills and climbs right up. I'll let him fill you in on the details but in this thread he lists the NAPA part number for the pump itself. It was much cheaper than an Argo fuel pump:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...tting-out.html

Evil,

The fuel pump that I installed cured my starvation issues. There was actually a mount for the fuel pump under my seat, so I just cut out a section of the fuel line and attached the pump to the mount and plumbed it in. I operate it by a toggle switch mounted on my dash and also wired in an idiot light so I don't forget to cut it off. As Mike posted, I used a NAPA pump and the part # is listed in the earlier thread. It was well worth the investment. I have had my Bigfoot on some wicked inclines and had no problems with it cutting out since I installed the pump.

McCoy

how steep will your rig climb, given good traction conditions?
    I'm testing my Hustler......seems pretty darn steep, wondering, but not wanting to find out, when it will decide to flip backwards.......

Henry
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

My BigFoot, has an extra elec fuel pump also,,added by a previous owner ,,mine is mounted under the hood, left side facing the front of the machine, near the blower fan, mounted to the winch mount bracket,,it is on when the key is on,,feeds the Vangaurds fuel pump,,you can see it in these 2 pics mounted to the Bracket.
    Attached Images

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably start working on it this weekend.

Last night I ordered the fuel pump from Napa and bought a toggle switch with safety cover. I will be picking the pump up today and working on it this weekend. Any idea of what size fuse I should use? Thanks.

I checked mine tonight & I'm using a 5 amp fuse.

McCoy

my elec.pump

heres my elec fuel pump and press. regulator(set 1 psi) on my 78 argo.i did this because new pulse pump was over $300 from Tech.dealer.universal import auto pump $69,reg. about $40.the gauge for "bling"$25
    Attached Images

Evil,
    The 18 HP magnum was a very dependable engine and gave very little fuel pump problems in that it uses a mechanical pump and pulls the fuel on a quite good climb. The Briggs engine use a vacumn operated pump and is just not capable of pulling the fuel from the tank for a very long climb without assist. Imagine if you will, to try and suck a milk shake setting on the floor with a very long straw. This is the effect the fuel pump has to deal with on a long climb. You may also simply replace the exhisting mechanical pump with a like new item for less money than going the route of the electric pump. Most likely your exhisting pump has alot of age on it being an 85 model. Have a great day

Ken
    Where ever we go we Argo

+ Reply to Thread