Wiring Help Needed

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiring Help Needed

Wiring Help Needed

I decided to get rid of the temperamental 2 stroke in my Attex and put a Kohler M18 I have kicking around in it. There are only 2 wires coming off the engine and 2 wires going into the chassis harness but I don't know which is which or if it matters. The old engine is an Arctic Cat (Kawasaki I believe) T1A 400. Do I even need the old Regulator rectifier any longer since there is one on the engine? The old one only has one wire going to it. I have attached pictures. It seems like this should be easy. I appreciate any help you wise AATV folks can provide.wiring2.jpgwiring1.jpg

The wires definitely matter. There is actually very little difference between the 2 stroke and the 4 stroke in what is required. Both will need:
    1) a ground (battery-) wire coming from the key (key off = ground for engine kill)
    2) a hot (battery +) wire (key on) from the alternator/regulator usually going to the key switch, but sometimes to ampmeter first. Remove the 2 stroke regulator with the engine and only use the 4 stroke one.
    3) Large battery wire to the starter (+)
    4) starter solenoid wire (+ with key in start) sometimes the solenoid is on the starter, and sometimes it is on the frame
    5) ground strap from frame to engine or engine plate needed especially with rubber engine mounts.
    6) sometimes the 4 strokes need a (+) wire (key on) to the carb for a fuel shut off solenoid (anti backfire). Your old key switch probably will not have this.

Brock,

The red wire in your hand is the battery charge wire (alternator/ internal regulator output), and can be hooked directly to the positive side of the battery. it looks a little bit different than the Kohlers I've been around, but I'm pretty positive that its the "ignition on" lead to the magneto. You won't need the old voltage regulator from the two stroke...

Thanks for the replies. Hydromike, so the red wire goes to the battery, the other wire must be the kill wire to the ignition? I had. This engine in an old tractor and I don't remember how I had it wired.
    Thanks again.

well, it's sort of a kill wire. ( at least on the Kohlers I've been around it is) I hate to put it in terms of "I'm pretty sure", but I'm pretty sure its the wire that energizes the coil or at least completes the circuit for the ignition. It should be wired to the MAG terminal on the ignition switch.

That makes sense. Many thanks to you sirs. I am out of town for the weekend but when I return wires will be spliced and terrain will be vehicled. Thanks again and I will post a follow up.

Finally an update. Your wiring tips were spot on. It is running and moving although I have a short somewhere in the grounding circuit. I have to ground a spliced wire to the frame to kill the engine. I know these things are supposed to max out at 3600 RPMs but mine isn't getting anywhere near that unless I manually push the governor resulting in very slow movement. Now I knew this wouldn't be very speedy with this engine swap but does anyone know how to adjust the governor/throttle for more RPMs? I thought there was a thread on how to do this but I can't find it now. As always, any advice is appreciated.

I'm thinking about just disconnecting the governor. Has anyone done that with a Kohler Magnum?

+ Reply to Thread