Question for bearing extension of frontier

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question for bearing extension of frontier

Question for bearing extension of frontier

hello guys, i am new to argo. my 6x6 currently has big foot tires, if i switch to rubber tracks, do i still need to add bearing extension for protecting the front and rear axles? I heard my setup would be a direct fit for rubber tracks. I also plan to install plow kit later, wonder if i should buy 2/4 pcs bearing extension part to make this work. Argo parts are expensive, don't want to make unneccessary mistakes. All commom are appreciated! Thanks!

argo standard rubber tracks will need extensions. what size are those tires? measure how much track extends beyond the track guide for your answer. even if they do fit without extensions beware that tracks roll laterally on the tires due to terrain or turning etc. this can allow for the track to rub on the tub and cause damage. the extensions are for this purpose to space the tracks far enough from the tub. lay the track on the end tire in the pic and see what space you get between tub and track for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    argo standard rubber tracks will need extensions. what size are those tires? measure how much track extends beyond the track guide for your answer. even if they do fit without extensions beware that tracks roll laterally on the tires due to terrain or turning etc. this can allow for the track to rub on the tub and cause damage. the extensions are for this purpose to space the tracks far enough from the tub. lay the track on the end tire in the pic and see what space you get between tub and track for your answer.
    Thanks TrevorAKM, your input is very appreciated! Tires in the pics are 25x12-9 Goodyear rawhideIII.
    I did bought a used 13' plastic track recently and just put it on for a spin test today, seems my axle are the extended long ones, they fit the tracks right on, and it running pretty well on snow and small hills.I don't have any bearing extention on the machine right now, i did see many ppl using tracks has them in the youtube videos, from the test spin, i see snow are stucking around the front axle bearing, maybe this will corro the bearing eventually. I will get four bearing kits and put them in front and end axles next week.
    Never done any bearing change before, but im sure i will learn how to do it from you folks and DIYers on the tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by sourcestone View Post
    Thanks TrevorAKM, your input is very appreciated! Tires in the pics are 25x12-9 Goodyear rawhideIII.
    I did bought a used 13' plastic track recently and just put it on for a spin test today, seems my axle are the extended long ones, they fit the tracks right on, and it running pretty well on snow and small hills.I don't have any bearing extention on the machine right now, i did see many ppl using tracks has them in the youtube videos, from the test spin, i see snow are stucking around the front axle bearing, maybe this will corro the bearing eventually. I will get four bearing kits and put them in front and end axles next week.
    Never done any bearing change before, but im sure i will learn how to do it from you folks and DIYers on the tubes.
    My “extensions” bolt to the wheel hubs. I bought them from Argo with the tracks. Do you really need to replace the bearing extensions? Mine look just like yours.
    Last edited by Avenger Bob; 02-22-2021 at 07:16 AM.

My first Argo was a 6x6 650 HD with the Admiral Transmission and the 23 horse Briggs. I bought the machine with those same 25" tires (raw Hide III's) and a set of Adair tracks. The clearance was close but as I remember I only had to have a standard 1/4 inch spacer on each wheel. I eventually sold that set of tires and tracks to a fellow 6x6 member with a deep tub Hustler. I bought a set of standard 24" Argo swimming tires and ran another set of Adair's over those tires. If I were doing it again I would try to find a 2" extension. The bad thing about the extensions is they put more stress on the axles when you are tuning. If you are using Adair's this is not really a concern since they actually turn easier in most conditions then tires. Good luck with it what ever you do.

Here is an impressive (expensive) 2 1/2 inch wheel spacer made by Bora and sold by Argo Adventure:

https://www.argoadventure.com/WHEEL-..._p_12335.htmll

Here are a bunch more choices:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffnt&q=whe...ages&ia=images
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 02-19-2021 at 07:43 PM.

I got mine on ebay, then knocked out the 1/2" studs and installed 7/16" studs.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/401860685691
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...5+x+4+1%2F2%22. these are 4) 2" spacers anodized with proper bolt circle, $77.00
    Just an example.
    Last edited by mfenmor; 02-20-2021 at 10:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread