Knocking sound while turning left

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knocking sound while turning left

Knocking sound while turning left

hi,
    we're 90 minutes from the dealer we bought from, so will be having to fix issues ourselves, mostly. I have greased the zerks and lubricated the chains (using the auto lube system which we got installed when we bought it), but there is a noise when turning left (not bearing left, but actually turning) which I first noticed a few weeks ago. I took this audio recording just now, first I spin left, then right, then left again, then drive straight:
    https://faculty.capebretonu.ca/jpreen/jargoknock.mp3

I am thinking it is a loose chain, but would appreciate any insight from more experienced owners as to what it may be and the best way to fix it. Or is this normal?
    Cheers,
    James

could get the link to work. Is this a brand new machine or used? lift the machine up and check the bearings. wiggle the tires is the first place I would look. mine was well used and the inner right front bearing was destroyed through neglect. this allowed enough wiggle / wobble of the axle that it would cause the front chain to skip and make a clunking sound when turning tightly. sounded fine while regular running. maybe coming from the brake calipers? pull the firewall and drive to see if you notice anything not operating correctly, but be careful not to get caught in any moving parts. the good part of these machines mine anyway is the drive line sides are identicle so if it's in the drive you have a good chance spotting a difference between sides. vidoe or pics always help.
    keep us updated as you may help someone else just by expressing what you find.

also if it is loose chains, lift the machine off the ground to tighten them with the tensioners. if it is loose chains and they are very loose check your sprockets for wear, shark fin shaped teeth.

Thanks, the machine is 3 years old, but only used for 100 hours in that time. What is the best way to lift up an argo? I have a jack and an axle stand; I took some wheels off when greasing and was able to park the argo on some planks so one wheel was off the ground, will that do? I'll try that and compare the wiggle on each side, its a good tip about using the symmetry of the machine to tell if things are wrong! The file I linked is an mp3, should be playable once downloaded, will try a video tomorrow if I can get the firewall off today.

I jack it up with a car jack and but red bricks in the back and front of the tub so wheels are free to be turned and that is why you should adjust the chains while jacked up cause on the ground other tires in line that aren't free prevent you from getting full chain tension. once up grab each tire and wiggle will tell if bearings are shot. sometimes can grease them rigid but it's temporary. if wiggle they will need changing based on your comfort level for accepting wear and tear. I don't consider myself a mechanic but I got through the entire drive bearings and chains. Pretty obvious once dig into it but can be a bear due to limited space/access the fronts and in mine neglect meant many seized parts. I don't have a press either.
    as for your link I'm on a decepid computer but feel free to text me 401-440-4445. hopefully others will offer suggestions. I only have two issues with my argo I haven't been able to resolve. One is actually a blessing and the other is mentioned in another current thread about idle speed.

Sorry for the delay, I got busy with work. I was able to remove the floor pans and take this video just now. Hope youtube works!
    https://youtu.be/qzypjm_3muQ
    There is a more slack in the left chain than the right, but not 3 inches, even with the wheels raised. As it is a 2018 it should have auto-tensioning?

I was able to grease the inside zerks as well, but that didn't seem to make a difference. There was a fair bit of water inside as we hadn't removed the drain plugs since testing it in the water...

your video works. I can hear a clinking sound.The chains look in the video to be of good tension. Are the spockets in good shape? In the correct spot on the axle? are the rear chains tight. With my machine off the ground I have had times where the rear chains were looser that the niddles allowing slightly more free spin than the middles or fronts.
    Are all the chains single link on the new machines? I guess saves weight and cost. also interesting to see the automatic chain lubebrication system, never seen that.

with the machine completely off the ground you grabbed and wiggled the tires to check the bearings? Sorry if you mentioned that already. and I'm assuming the latest video is while driving,shakey. when I had a problem truning and getting a noise it was a very loud clunk. Yours in the video seems more quiet and chanin related.

Yes, I have it off the ground now and there was no wiggle in the bearings when I moved the tyres.
    Can someone describe the motion you have to do to manually tension the chains?

The back chains seem a bit looser, which is harder to get a video of while driving...
    Does it sound of concern to any of you?
    Last edited by jp26; 09-20-2021 at 11:35 AM.

with it lifted can you turn the wheels and get the clunking sound motor off

+ Reply to Thread