plowing

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: plowing

plowing

Has anyone tried plowing snow Both with tracks and withouth tracks. I would like to know if it would be worth trying without tracks. I know with tracks, it doesn't like to plow, turn, and go up hill at the same time well. I was plowing last night and was having a real hard time pushing 7 inches of heavy snow. I have to take it off in layers.

Snow Chains??

I added chains to each section of track on my 8x8 Conquest. WHAT a difference!!! I Put her into low & let her go! NOthing stops her, except too much elevation to get the nose over. I don't even know I'm pushing snow. Turning is a breeze!

plowing

I just use my frontier tires on my Argo 6x6. up hill & down hill. just the drifts i had to skim off in a couple passes. more weight in the machine helps alot. l put four 50 lbs bags of feed in the back of my 6x6. we got freezing rain between snows so is was a glare of ice it just made turning easier & fun. wish i had a windshield and cab. Coveralls are warm but my hands and feet get cold plowing below zero and single digit weather.

Chapy: I had the same problem, BUT, I take into consideration that I am useing a 5 ft plow, and I'm pushing 8-10 inches of wet, heavy snow with tires designed for traction in dirt/mud. (Terra treads) I believe a simple change in tread will cure my shortcoming. As far as moving light/powdery snow, my setup works just fine as is.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Chapy, I don't have tracks and I do not have any problems with deep snow or wet snow but I am also plowing with a Max so....... I don't know, maybe plowing with the Argo is different. Take the tracks off and see what happens???

Max 6 Wheel Drive

Quote Originally Posted by artist1018 View Post
    I added chains to each section of track on my 8x8 Conquest. WHAT a difference!!! I Put her into low & let her go! NOthing stops her, except too much elevation to get the nose over. I don't even know I'm pushing snow. Turning is a breeze!
    I like the idea of the chains on the tracks. I would like to keep the tracks on so I can still ride in the deep snow and also need more traction when plowing on the hard packed snow on the driveway. Do you have any pics of the chain setup on your tracks? I would love to see the setup.

I'll try to post pics of the chains this weekend. In the mean-time, picture the chains you put on a lawn tractor. Now just use bolts, washers & nylon lock nuts to attach them to the inside & outside of each track section. The link size of the chain you use will determine how & where to drill the holes for the links. I bought a box of chain from Harbor Freight. Home Depot also sells the same item. I went to a locally owned, small hardware & bought all the nuts, bolts & washers.(1 nut & bolt & 2 washers per track section). It took about an hour per track to do the job by myself. I just jacked up the Argo & rotated the tracks as I installed each chain. I cut them to length, 13 links in my case, in the shop with bolt cutters and had them in a pile at the ready to speed up the process. I appologize for the length of this description. Just hope it helps those of you that have plactic tracks, like me.

+ Reply to Thread