HELP my clutch won't move

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP my clutch won't move

HELP my clutch won't move

I have an early big max that had the 2 cylinder 2-stroke engine. It ran ok strong with a scary top speed but was very finnicky with the carb and no climbing torque. I decided to install a 20 hp onan 2 cylinder 4 stroke engine. went in great runs strong but the driven clutch will not open up. it is free and I can pry it open easily. the drive clutch moves in smooth and easy with no belt on the clutch , but once i install the belt you can see it try to pinch the belt but the driven clutch won't open up . do I need to change the yellow large spring on the driven clutch or mess with the rollers inside the drive clutch. Since the new engine probably only spins up half the rpms max. Those rollers might not be pressing out hard enough. It runs and drives around great but at like 3 mph top speed with the touque to climb my house.any help would be greatly apprieciated. jeff.

clutch

a 2stroke clutch will not work on a 4 stroke unless it is reworked inside.someone may know how i donot hope this helps abit

do you still have the 2 stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6 jeff View Post
    I have an early big max that had the 2 cylinder 2-stroke engine. It ran ok strong with a scary top speed but was very finnicky with the carb and no climbing torque. I decided to install a 20 hp onan 2 cylinder 4 stroke engine. went in great runs strong but the driven clutch will not open up. it is free and I can pry it open easily. the drive clutch moves in smooth and easy with no belt on the clutch , but once i install the belt you can see it try to pinch the belt but the driven clutch won't open up . do I need to change the yellow large spring on the driven clutch or mess with the rollers inside the drive clutch. Since the new engine probably only spins up half the rpms max. Those rollers might not be pressing out hard enough. It runs and drives around great but at like 3 mph top speed with the touque to climb my house.any help would be greatly apprieciated. jeff.
    You need to put lighter springs in the drive clutch (Salsbury).

Smile spring is in the air......

i think i know where to get some good used ones....

thanks

where do I get springs ?? I do have the old engine complete , but thought I would hang onto it till I get this thing working. I dissassebled the clutch and see 3 rollers with 2 springs on each roller . I thought too much tension right?? so I reomved 1 spring on each roller so only one per roller . reassmbled everything and ran it . The drive clutch moves in much faster but still does not pull open the driven clutch?? should I change that tension yellow spring inside the driven clutch?? thanks

Hi, two stroke run with a higher rpm so you need the right springs or better the right clutch. Amphiman will surely have those parts and help you if you ask him.

thanks he is hooking me up

Smile spring is in the air.,,,,

Who me?

Hello amphiman, everyone says you can help me get the right salsbury clutch springs for my big max. It originally had the JLO 440cc 2 stroke engine and I sawpped in a onan 20hp 4 stroke motor . The motor runs great and it drives around at about 3 MPH . But I think that the 2 stroke clutch uses different tension springs. With the belt off the drive clutch moves in free with engine rpms . but with the belt installed it does not come in at all. Can you sell me the right 4 stroke springs for my salsbury clutch that had a 2 stroke. I disassembled the drive clutch, it has 3 rollers with a coiled springs . I am unsure of the year of my machine .... you probably know better than me .. give me a call 360-820-8267 see my pic in my profile.

+ Reply to Thread