T-20 shift kit

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-20 shift kit

Another big thumbs up from me for the shift kit!

Finesse Not Force

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    That shift kit is a copy of Hustler's original design. On my Hustler, the springs do help with the shifting because there is quite a bit of linkage and shift mechanisms on the machine. Basically, the springs give you that extra leverage or "kick" to get the T-20 to switch gears.
    your right they are a copy of the hustler design and they do work.but they do not give you any extra leverage or kick,if any thing they give you a cushion.you can apply more gear grinding force with rigid direct linkages. force is NOT what you need to shift gears,you need finesse! before i explain what the springs do everyone should understand something about the t-20 transmissionS and please someone correct me if i'm wrong!!! I used an S at the end of transmission because the t-20 is actually 2 completely separate transmissions that happen to share 3 things a housing,main shaft and fluid.that being said,no 2 transmissions are the same,each one has its own personality.one will always be easier to shift than the other.when they are new the difference might be hard to tell since they are ALMOST identical but as they are used they may wear very differently depending on adjustment differences, direction you steer more often,how long you hold the turn and whether you "feather" the drive or brake bands.also since they are separate the odds of stopping and having both reverse gear sets be aligned and ready to mesh is not very good,lucky if one is! What the springs do is they allow the side that is aligned or if neither is aligned,the side that shifts better to partially engage its gear set while applying GENTAL spring force to the butting gear set. when you rock the vehicle the tires move one of the 2 gears on the butting side allowing them to GENTLY mesh. the partially engaged side simply waits for the other side to catch up. without the springs when you shift, one side is probably going to butt gears,even if the other side is lined up it wont engage becouse they are connected to one handle. when you rock the vehicle to get the butting side to line up unfortunately you move the other side out of alignment since all six tires move at the same time. here's a pic of the sidewinder springs I don't need anymore since i am using 2 shift levers.only shifting one side at a time COMPLEATLY eliminates the problem.rigid linkages or possibly 33c boat shifter cables will give me more "feel" than sprung lingages! they help the max 4 and any other vehicles with long lingages that change direction many times MORE becouse you lose "feel" through all the lingages but they will still make a max II with short lingages shift easyer,although you might lose a little "feel". probably a good trade off since you are still trying to shift 2 transmissions with one handle!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by srg121; 02-06-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Guy's,

You can make the shift kit using your current linkages and about $5.00 worth of springs and washers.

$80 wow I'm in the wrong business. Please tell me you didn't have to exchange your old linkage

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    Guy's,

You can make the shift kit using your current linkages and about $5.00 worth of springs and washers.
    I kinda thought the same thing from the pictures, unless I'm missing something

Guy's,

$80 wow I'm in the wrong business. Please tell me you didn't have to exchange your old linkage
    couldnt have said it better myself!!!! only thing is you wrecked it for me i was planning on spray painting them and selling them for $78 plus shipping,after all they are used....just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by srg121 View Post
    couldnt have said it better myself!!!! only thing is you wrecked it for me i was planning on spray painting them and selling them for $78 plus shipping,after all they are used....just kidding
    Ah yes, a good old fashioned "spray paint restoration" for a mere $78.......what a great deal! hahahah.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I wanted to apologize to anyone if they thought I was razzing them about buying the kit it was not my intention. My purpose was to highlight that fact that buyer beware of pricing on aftermarket internet 6 wheeler stuff. Know what your getting, shop around, and see if it's something you can't make yourself easily and cheaper. My 2cents

I wanted to apologize to anyone if they thought I was razzing them about buying the kit it was not my intention. My purpose was to highlight that fact that buyer beware of pricing on aftermarket internet 6 wheeler stuff. Know what your getting, shop around, and see if it's something you can't make yourself easily and cheaper. My 2cents
    that goes for me too,i quoted micmac the first time becouse i knew his comment was about inspiring people to make there own parts when possible and cost effective.i applaud anyone willing to spend that much money to make there machine better.most wont even shell out that much for a winch,i keep reading about these cheapo $60 harbor freight winches(garbage) and i think a good winch is much more important than a little easier shifting!!! my comment about painting and selling my springs was a JOKE aimed toward the SELLER of the springs NOT the buyer.just ask member JPSWIFT1, he asked me if i would sell him my e brake cable that i was not using,i told him NO ,but that he could have it for free for the cost of shipping since it wasn't in the best cosmetic condition although it worked perfectly!!! NEXT earlier in the thread someone described the "shift kit" as L shaped rods with cotter pins to hold the springs,bad design. Check out the hustler springs in pic.they have threaded hemispherical ends on one side and threads with nuts on other side. these are for adjusting spring tension.since no 2 transmissions are the same AND one side might go into reverce easyer than foward,and vice versa,all 4 springs might want to be adjusted differently!!! the hemi ends that attach to your lingages will adjust the reverse and the nuts in back will adjust forward. what ever side and what ever direction shifts easier should have more tension allowing them to partially engage even further,butting gears should always have very little pressure as not to damage or unnecessarily wear them!!!!! in neutral there should be no spring tension in either direction.start with the hemi end first as this will effect the lenghth of the rod.always loosen the more difficult shifting side,tightening the springs would couse it to not stay in neutral.only slight adjustment are needed,you cannot compensate for bad or worn gears with spring tension.loosening too much may couse one side to not fully engage!!!
    Last edited by srg121; 02-06-2008 at 06:07 PM.

Im with srg121 and micmac, no offense at all to anyone who paid that much for the shift kit. What's really sad is that someone would try to put together a product that is so inexpensive and then charge so much for it and justify this by saying it is a very high quality part at a good price. The AATV hobby is only a small group of people compared to other hobbies such as quads or dirtbikes and practically every one of us AATV people are really great. Heck, I made tons of new friends on here. So many people have helped me out, as seen in the previous post and if they need anything I would be more than happy to do the same for them. We try to help each other on this great site however possible and we do it WITHOUT any intention of charging astronmical prices to bennifit ourselves. We do it because we love the hobby and we love AATVs. What is really sad is that there are a small handful of people other places on the net that take advantage of people who may be new to the hobby. These people may not know what the going price is for a part and they go and a pay rediculous amount for some parts to get a machine going and then they end up sinking a fortune into it. Then this machine might not ever get finished because it is a "money pit," and then the project becomes abandoned and we lose another potential AATV enthusiast. I have seen it happen and I have bought machines and have friends that have bought the machines that people gave up on. I really hate to see people lose interest becuase of this because we have a relatively small following of AATV people. But we are all now lucky enough to have this invaluable resource on the net called www.6x6world.com where there is a large gathering of AATV enthusiasts who help each other out and promote the hobby in a positve and non-commercial way. I have talked to some people who were very dissapointed because they felt there was only one place on the net to go for AATVs. They had no idea what else to do for parts because they thought there was only one place to find them, and it was way to expensive for them. These folks have since joined 6x6world and they have since got their machines up and running again with help from 6x6world members' advice and parts that they had laying around. I am a little off topic from T-20 shifters but I would just like to thank everyone on 6x6world.com and especially Mike for creating this wonderful site where we can go and post up any crazy AATV idea that we want without the post being deleted. This site isnt even a year old and it has become the best AATV site on the net. I cannot wait to hear about all of the new ideas, projects, and members that will be coming to 6x6world in the future. I have to say that my personal favorite experience is building an AATV on a budget and seeing it transform with the help of some really great people on the site, from a beat up old thing sitting in someone's backyard with weeds growing out of it into something that looks like it rolled right off of the factory production line. Thanks to the greatest AATV site on the net and all of it's members!!!
    Last edited by jpswift1; 02-06-2008 at 05:34 PM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Im with srg121 and micmac, no offense at all to anyone who paid that much for the shift kit. What's really sad is that someone would try to put together a product that is so inexpensive and then charge so much for it and justify this by saying it is a very high quality part at a good price. The AATV hobby is only a small group of people compared to other hobbies such as quads or dirtbikes and practically every one of us AATV people are really great. Heck, I made tons of new friends on here. So many people have helped me out, as seen in the previous post and if they need anything I would be more than happy to do the same for them. We try to help each other on this great site however possible and we do it WITHOUT any intention of charging astronmical prices to bennifit ourselves. We do it because we love the hobby and we love AATVs. What is really sad is that there are a small handful of people other places on the net that take advantage of people who may be new to the hobby. These people may not know what the going price is for a part and they go and a pay rediculous amount for some parts to get a machine going and then they end up sinking a fortune into it. Then this machine might not ever get finished because it is a "money pit," and then the project becomes abandoned and we lose another potential AATV enthusiast. I have seen it happen and I have bought machines and have friends that have bought the machines that people gave up on. I really hate to see people lose interest becuase of this because we have a relatively small following of AATV people. But we are all now lucky enough to have this invaluable resource on the net called www.6x6world.com where there is a large gathering of AATV enthusiasts who help each other out and promote the hobby in a positve and non-commercial way. I have talked to some people who were very dissapointed because they felt there was only one place on the net to go for AATVs. They had no idea what else to do for parts because they thought there was only one place to find them, and it was way to expensive for them. These folks have since joined 6x6world and they have since got their machines up and running again with help from 6x6world members' advice and parts that they had laying around. I am a little off topic from T-20 shifters but I would just like to thank everyone on 6x6world.com and especially Mike for creating this wonderful site where we can go and post up any crazy AATV idea that we want without the post being deleted. This site isnt even a year old and it has become the best AATV site on the net. I cannot wait to hear about all of the new ideas, projects, and members that will be coming to 6x6world in the future. I have to say that my personal favorite experience is building an AATV on a budget and seeing it transform with the help of some really great people on the site, from a beat up old thing sitting in someone's backyard with weeds growing out of it into something that looks like it rolled right off of the factory production line. Thanks to the greatest AATV site on the net and all of it's members!!!
    Bravo Jp I agree with everything in the above post

+ Reply to Thread