T-20 shift kit

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: T-20 shift kit

Watch those shift pins and ring gears....

Be careful.....Hustlers were notorious for wearing out the shift pins (on the base of the shift assembly) and the internal (revearse) gear of the ring gear because of their "spring loaded" shift design.

heres a pic of the "shift kit" i think,looks like it has extentions on t-20 mechinism.my sidewinder springs went directly to t-20...this is a max 4
    Attached Images

I bought a " shift kit " from Richard Clark at Route 6x6 , a couple of years ago myself. I received my shift kit from UPS in a box one day , and opened it up as soon as it arrived . When I opened the box , that the shift kit was packaged in , I was shocked and upset ! I was shocked because the shift kit was so simple to build , by any one with just a fraction of common sense . I was also upset that Richard Clark would charge so much for a part that was so easy to make . But , live and learn from your mistakes people say . Does it work ? Yes it does ! After my friend and I installed it on my Max IV , it made a ---- > BIG < ------ difference in the ease of shifting my T-20 . I also ordered the T-20 plunger adjusting tools . These two plunger adjusting tools could have been made for free ,with some quarter inch flat metal . I paid $18.95 for these ! After I adjusted each side of my T-20 using these tools , my T-20 shifted wonderful ! But ,this is because my T-20 transmission was not properly adjusted from the factory where I bought it .

Forgive me if I don't understand what's going on here. What if the shifter moved fully into position and stayed there by mechanical means like a shift gate, you could let go of it and let the springs finish the actual shift when everything aligned. Is the spring/washer stuff too crude for that to happen? I can see the need to have that stuff adjusted exactly.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

not sure if the max or attex does but the hustlers do have 3 position locking mechanism with spring release on top of handle. problem is there is to much "throw" or "travel" with t-20 mechanism. that would put to much force on butting gear set. holding pressure on handle is not the problem,2 transmissions and 1 handle is the problem!!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by srg121; 02-07-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Roger what you described is exactly what the springs on the rods will accomplish. The trick is to adjust them so they are neutral, (not applying pressure) when they do drop into gear. A person can eliminate a lot of the shifting problem by keeping everything adjusted correctly, not having the chains to the jack shaft to tight, shift while slightly rolling or rocking the Max, giving it some gas to get the input shaft to move then letting it go back to idle and try shifting again. I have the split shifter mod on my Hustler with no springs and that works well. On Maxs I leave them stock. It is a hassle when a person is stuck in a mud hole rut and wants to go forward to the maximum then shift to reverse and hit it the other direction. On your Argo you can just throw the lever and it will go into gear. The Max is not as easy to get along with, but it sure beat the machines with the electric reverse or no reverse gear.

+ Reply to Thread