One wire alternator

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One wire alternator

One wire alternator

I'm taking the plunge - I found a very small "racing" alternator to tuck under my 18hp Kohler. No more power problems. When wiring is it as simple as running a wire from the positive battery post to the single post on the alternator? I assume grounding takes place through the brackets?! Thanks ahead for the input.

Thumbs down

Sounds cool!!! What amphib do you have? I had a auto alternator in my attex and was happy with it. I need to put a new one in it though.

Alternator

I have an 89 Magnum 8X8 - tough as nails, strong as an ox but runs out of juice after a few hours!! Pull starts easy though!!!

With one wire it will be a generator, they don't put out as many amps but charge at low revs. I have another post at the moment looking for someone to show me how to hook it up because if you just hook it up to the battery without a regulator you will fry your battery. Here is a pick of what was given to me. It is a generator from a Kabota.If anyone is in the know you may be able to help me also(otherwise it's gona cost pocket money.)
    THE KIWI

Alternator

Paul

Nope - it's an alternator and is internally regulated. Anybody have wiring instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by theonlyman View Post
    Paul

Nope - it's an alternator and is internally regulated. Anybody have wiring instructions?
    For the one wire, just hook the one wire up to pos. It works from a small amount of voltage leakage turning the alternator on. You can get a special kit to run a regular delco alternator into a one wire.

If its a normall delco. the big wire is +, then there are 2 little wires. One is for a dummy light and other one is the one you run to the ignition switch. It turns the alternator on when its on and off when the ignition is off.

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Sounds cool!!! What amphib do you have? I had a auto alternator in my attex and was happy with it. I need to put a new one in it though.
    Hey Larry, do you have any pics of that alternator?
    Was that on a G50B SC?

Quote Originally Posted by PlumCrazy View Post
    Hey Larry, do you have any pics of that alternator?
    Was that on a G50B SC?
    Here is one om my Max4.

Hey theonlyman,
    LarryW is correct. I drag raced cars for a long time and if it is a true 1 wire, then mount it to the POS terminal. Use a 4 AWG wire as a minimum. Some single wire alternators have actually 2 wires. The one wire, usually brown, goes to the ignition switch to ensure there is power coming from the alternator only when the switch is on and the engine running.
    Be careful with a true 1 wire alternator as some of them will draw up to 300 MA when the engine is shut off. This only becomes a problem of discharging the battery if your AATV is sitting for long periods of time. This discharge rate also depends on the state of your battery. One other thing to consider with aftermarket alternators is the output curve. For a drag race engine, the output amperage and voltage of the alternator is low at low speeds, and as the revs go up so does the output. My race alternators typically weren't putting out enough to charge the batteries and help with the current load until the engine was in the 3,500 to 4,000 RPM range. If the alternator is for a lower RPM output, then they typically go to full output at low RPM like say 2,000. Only real way to tell the output is to mount it and have good equipment hooked up and run the engine from idle to governor speed.
    I hope the one you have will fill your needs.
    Sorry for being so long winded, but I wanted to ensure you and other fellow's who read this thread, understand.
    Cheers,
    Al

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    Here is one om my Max4.
    Nice job there Jersey!
    I'm looking for a place to stuff one on my SuperChief with a G50B!

+ Reply to Thread