Yesterday's Humphrey,NY Ride

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday's Humphrey,NY Ride

Yesterday's Humphrey,NY Ride

A bunch of us headed down to Humphrey yesterday for the Ribit Rider's Halloween Ride. I wasn't expecting such a great turn out, but we must have had about 25 machines there. There were folks from PA, IN, and the remainder were scattered from WNY. I got my first view of the MudOx, and even raced it down one of the logging roads. It's an amazing machine. The riding day was a bit cool, and windy, but it was a great day with lots of woods trails, logging road trails, mud, rocks, and just general all-around great AATV terrain. Even the woods trails were so smooth, you could have taken a faster two stroke machine and had some really dangerous fun. There were long stretches of road that just let you take in the beautiful hilly scenery. You'd turn around and there was a seemingly endless line of amphibs following you down the road. I brought the RIM down, which, aside from (another) broken shifting pin on the diamond shifter, performed flawlessly. I couldn't believe it, but a club member actually had another shifter, which I plopped in the T-20, and rode the rest of the day. Not bad for a 30+ year old machine.

This was the first time I rode at Humphrey, and the place is just great. I like it better than Copper Ridge, and there are a lot more trails than Ledges. (oh, it was cheap, too...) Thanks to Chief Lockwood for hosting us all at the Fire Hall. We'll be back again. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to post the pics. There aren't too many action shots. I was too busy riding...

~m

Hey Mike,

I went there 5 or 6 years ago when they had the Jamborees. I loved it! Please let us know when they have another event. I'd make that trip again in heartbeat.
    Banned

Yeah, post it next time they have a ride. I'd like too go.

I can't wait to see the pictures!

While your at it Mike tell them about the Rim without you in it sliding backwards down the hill. Sorry I just couldn't resist.

That sure was one heck of a ride! I wish there were a few more mud holes but it was tons of fun. I took my Max II w/ the 18HP Vanguard and I had a great time. There were some very serious hills, and this one that was soooooooo steep the rocks sticking out at the top of the hill made it seem like the nose of your machine was aimed completely straight up at the sky. I absolutely loved this ride, and it was close by and reasonably priced to attend. I would have to admit that my favorite part of the ride was hitting that huge mud hole with steep muddy inclines all around it and with a little bit of rocking the machine back and forth and working the laterals correctly, I was able to crawl right out of it. Matt O. from Indiana had his 8x8 that he built and he also went through the mud hole without a problem. There was a pretty good size group there and a a bunch of people snapped pictures, so Im sure we will be seeing them appear on the site soon.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

jpswift1,

I enjoyed reading more about the Mud OX in action at the 6x6 rides. I can,t wait to see the Mud Ox when it becomes a real production machine , and not just a prototpe. I,ve watched a short video clip of the Mud Ox in action , on the Bad Lands , DVD , that John Schwab made. As you said,,its an impressive machine .

SUPER RIM

Quote Originally Posted by mark m. View Post
    While your at it Mike tell them about the Rim without you in it sliding backwards down the hill. Sorry I just couldn't resist.
    OK, OK.... it wasn't necessarily the high point, but it does deserve some explanation. After I broke the shifter, I wired the diamond shifter into forward only... That meant I had to accomplish the rest of the ride in forward-only...

Relax folks; It's a RIM...

We got to a point on the trail where the entire group had to turn around. Since I didn't have reverse, I went off the trail and pulled a 180 to get back up the hill. I had get out of the machine and move a fallen tree out of the way in order to get back on the trail, but I forgot to set the parking brake. As I was moving the tree, the RIM started to roll down the hill backwards. DOH! I didn't even see it, so I only found out about the horrific event through the generous annoucement by one of the riders. I was able to catch up to it, but not before it ran into a tree at about 15mph. It slammed into the tree and smashed in the back end of the whole machine. To my utter amazement, I pulled away and there was virtually no damage to the machine. The body snapped right back into place. The exhaust pipe was smashed a little bit, but I was able to get it back into serviceable shape.

So what lesson did we learn from this whole episode?

Always set the parking brake?
    Always park sideways on hills?
    Don't break the transmission in the first place?

Nope; what I learned is:

The RIM is friggen indestructable!

~m

P.S. Thanks Mr. Gerber...

I wasn't going to comment until I heard what happened from you, Mike. Glad your Rim's O.K. It's a creepy feeling to watch your car rolling away. I know, I almost lost the Spider over a 30 ft cliff on that ride that we took to Lake UnPleasant. I didn't have a parking brake & I didn't park sideways & it started rolling away. With the help of Bryan & Rob pushing & Bridget pulling, we caught it in time. Looking forward to your pics.

Great story!

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Relax folks; It's a RIM...
    Mike, that needs to go in your sig.

+ Reply to Thread