Putting an Old T-20 into a Newer Max IV???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Putting an Old T-20 into a Newer Max IV???

Putting an Old T-20 into a Newer Max IV???

Hello--

I have a 2000 Max IV; its tranny is shot. I have no brakes on the right side when I am in forward, but it does drive. The right side does not drive when in I am in reverse, but it does have brakes.

I am all but certain that the T-20 tranny is shot / needs rebuilt, so therein lies the need for this question.

My brother has an old Chaparral 6X6, perhaps from the early 1970’s. We’re not sure what year it is. The T-20 in it works well, at least it did the last we used it.

The question is can I put the T-20 out of that old Chaparral into my 2000 Max IV??? If so, will it work as well as a newer one??? Will we have to make a lot of modifications??? I think it has a slightly different system that attaches the linkage for the steering levers to the front of the T-20. The old T-20 has an I-bolt attachment system of some sort, whereas the 2000 Max IV has the regular bolts and the U-channel.

Can they be easily and affectively switched???

Thanks for any and all feedback on this. I want to know what I am getting into before I attempt this.

Pull your T-20 and rebuild it.. It's not that hard..

Just did my first one myself and it's really not hard to do..

Instructions on this site by Mike make it a piece of Cake..

Max..
    Maxheadroom..!!

tranny

your old tranny is better built than the newer one--it will have bearing on end of input shaft.to change tranneys all you have to do is un screw eyebolts and install channels w/blts.p.s. sounds like you have a broken band in new tranny.lol

Quote Originally Posted by maxheadroom View Post

Pull your T-20 and rebuild it.. It's not that hard..

Just did my first one myself and it's really not hard to do..

Instructions on this site by Mike make it a piece of Cake..

Max..
    maxheadroom--

I appreciate your feedback.

I thought about that, but I was not sure how much money I would get into it. Wow!!! I already have a bunch in recent repairs that were necessary just to get this thing working after I bought it. Then, after I got all of that stuff successfully fixed, the tranny goes.

Aren't there a couple different "rebuild kits" available from Recreatives depending on the level or degree to which you want to rebuild the T-20 . . . depending on what is wrong with it, I guess??? Isn't there one kit called something like "seals and gaskets" and another one called something like "bands and bearings"??? And, there might even be others, too.

I don't know if you (or anyone else on the forum) can shed any light on this or not.

I am thinking that if I am going to do it, I would want to do a TOTAL REBUILD while I was at at. How much money do you think I would get in it???

Thanks for any help you (or anyone) can offer me.

I still would like to know if anyone knows the answer to the original question: "Can I put an old T-20 from an old Chaparral 6X6 into my 2000 Max IV without the need for any major modifications???"

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mepa View Post

your old tranny is better built than the newer one--it will have bearing on end of input shaft.to change tranneys all you have to do is un screw eyebolts and install channels w/blts.p.s. sounds like you have a broken band in new tranny.lol
    mepa--

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate all the help I can get.

That is what I was thinking . . . that all I would have to do is switch that linkage attachment system. I am also not surprised to hear you say that you think the older ones are better. That is USUALLY the case.

I was thinking there was probably a broken band, myself. I remembered reading somewhere here on the forum that there is an inter and outer band or something, and the one controls the braking while in forward and the drive while in reverse. And, the other controls the drive while in forward and the braking while in reverse. So, that all made sense with what I was seeing with my machine.

Thanks again, mepa. I will have to weigh out my options . . . do I want to rebuild or just replace with this older unit I have available to me . . . at least for now.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-29-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: merged two consecutive posts (you can reply to everyone at once using the multi-quote button(s) )

Well.!! untill u get into the T-20 its hards to tell what u might need to do.??

Do u have it out now,?? if so, just split it and have a look see as to whats going on in there first before u buy anything.. If it was not leaking and all the bearings feel good, I would not replace them, just do the bands..

U will get sooooo good at fixing the T-20 after the first time u stumble through pulling it apart, it will not scare u from doing a full rebuild later after u have de-bugged the rest of your machine..

One thing is for sure..!! U will always be doing somthing to you machine and u should make it fun and enjoy yourself while doing it.. It's rewarding to know the complte in and outs of your machine..

Bands I belive around $140 a set..

Cheers and keep us advised of your progress.

Max
    Last edited by maxheadroom; 11-29-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    Maxheadroom..!!

rebuild

I rebuilt my t-20 a while back $110.00 x 4 bands from richards relics some say his brake bands a little thicker you get back 30 or 40 each band if they are reusable core. You can get them from rec industries to. From talking to Don about double plungers he told me to use them on the bottom only they always leak there never on top. Mine leaks on the lower right side a little i did not know about the double plungers at that time. Good luck if you rebuild and follow along with your computer run into problems or need parts put a post on here the people on here are always great help

Quote Originally Posted by maxheadroom View Post

One thing is for sure..!! U will always be doing somthing to you machine and u should make it fun and enjoy yourself while doing it.. It's rewarding to know the complte in and outs of your machine..

Max
    Max--

You are right about that . . . it seems there is ALWAYS something to do. But, I expect that once I get the initial bugs worked out, it will be a whole lot more reliable than it currently is. Hee Hee!!!

This tranny issue is just the latest in a LONG LINE of recent problems.

Check out my other post where I go into that in more detail, and even this post is not complete . . . it is not up-to-date. I call Recreatives that much that a couple of the guys there know me by name, literally!!!

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...me-advice.html

But, I do agree . . . it is comforting, or whatever, to know that you know how to go about fixing things when it is necessary. I have had this machine for a ONLY month and a half. I have only taken three SHORT rides, really only test runs . . . yet, I probably have as much experience with fixing these things as many people do who have owned a NORMAL Max IV for several years.

Thanks, maxheadroom, for your help and encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffery9076 View Post

I rebuilt my t-20 a while back $110.00 x 4 bands from richards relics some say his brake bands a little thicker you get back 30 or 40 each band if they are reusable core. You can get them from rec industries to. From talking to Don about double plungers he told me to use them on the bottom only they always leak there never on top. Mine leaks on the lower right side a little i did not know about the double plungers at that time. Good luck if you rebuild and follow along with your computer run into problems or need parts put a post on here the people on here are always great help
    You are right about that, jeffery9076, the people on this forum are VERY pleasant and VERY helpful. I very much agree.

I appreciate your feedback here, as well. I will keep what you said in mind if I do decide to rebuild my T-20.

Thanks, jeffery9076.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-29-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: merged two consecutive posts (you can reply to everyone at once using the multi-quote button(s) )

Sometimes it's only a broken shift pin ($30 quick fix), or it needs an adjustment on the steering u-channels (FREE). Reguardless of what the issue is, these transmission are easy to fix. Only the most abused T-20s run with gear lube or run dry are actually even close to totaled. It's best to determine the real cause of the problem before you assume the worst. Your 2000 Max IV trans is a lot better than anything you'll dig out of an old relic. I bet a quick fix will have you back on the trails with minimal expense... you won't even need the $1920 brand new T-20!
    Last edited by Mike; 12-09-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: you know the rules
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRules View Post
    ... you won't even need the $1920 brand new T-20 that some people ask about!
    Price is about the same for a new or rebuilt Argo trans.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRules View Post

Sometimes it's only a broken shift pin ($30 quick fix), or it needs an adjustment on the steering u-channels (FREE). Reguardless of what the issue is, these transmission are easy to fix. Only the most abused T-20s run with gear lube or run dry are actually even close to totaled. It's best to determine the real cause of the problem before you assume the worst. Your 2000 Max IV trans is a lot better than anything you'll dig out of an old relic. I bet a quick fix will have you back on the trails with minimal expense... you won't even need the $1920 brand new T-20!
    I did not get it ripped out, yet. That will happen soon . . . now that Pennsylvania's Deer Hunting Season is over. First things first!!! Hee Hee!!!

I, too, am curious what is ACTUALLY wrong with it.

It may just prove to be something simply, as you suggest.

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread