Just got my Hustler 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just got my Hustler 6x6

Just got my Hustler 6x6

I just bought a Hustler 6X6 and am starting to learn a little (lot) as I go.
    Man they are fun, and a "hoss" to boot!
    I do pipeline inspections all across the US and got tired of the limitations of 4 wheelers, lot's of "in and outs" do to water. Not really a problem for this guy.

I got a question for you JPSwift:
    how is that ball attached on the rear of your new machine?
    I need to add that to mine and I am worried about the strength of the hull.
    Is this attached internally to something more solid?
    If you have a chance and can shoot a picture of this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Travis
    Attached Images

Travis,

I can't speak about the Hustler but my Attex has its ball mount attached to the frame by 4 bolts (about 1/4" diameter each) through the hull. My guess is you would have to fabricate something that would work the same way because the body would crack if you just anchored the mount to it.

George
    Banned

Travis,

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing a picture of your Hustler. I'm envious that you get to use it for work on a regular basis.

As for the hitch, like George mentioned you need to mount it to the frame and I'm sure Jeff can get you a picture of the actual Hustler mount but if not I can take you a pic of the Max mount just so you get an idea of how it works.

Mike

Thats a really nice Hustler you have there! As for the hitch set up, I cannot say for sure right now because I am going to pick it up later this week and I dont have it in my yard now. I believe that it is the same set up as George and Mike mentioned about the Attex and Max. There is most likely a pretty beefy piece of steel that goes from the frame to the tub inside of the machine and then the hitch bolts to that piece "sandwiching" the tub in the middle of the two. This way, the tub is not getting pulled on, it is actually the frame that is doing the pulling. I will get some detailed shots and measurements up for you when I get going on the full restoration which will be very soon because I cant wait to get this beast going!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Wow!!!!
    Thanks everyone for your quick responses!!!
    This is really my first time to check out any forum and post something.

I will appreciate any pictures of possible hitch options that anyone shares.
    I was thinking of fabricating a frame that goes all the way around the outside perimeter and attaching a roll cage with a top (for shade really-it's hot out there), and having some sort of drop for a ball and a drop for a winch.

First I need new tires, that will happen tomorrow.
    Right now it has 22X11X8 Goodyear Terra-Tire; which I am guessing are the original rubber (I am still not sure what year this unit was built).
    I got a sidewall leak in one and a slow leak in another, but all of them are cracked and dry-rotted.
    Can anyone recommend a decent priced tire with good functionality.

Any suggestions?

Well thanks for the info and advice, keep em coming...

Thanks,

Travis

Travis,

I just snapped a couple of quick shots of my Max II trailer hitch mount. The first one is from the outside and the other is from the inside. I didn't take the upper body off for a great view but you can see the metal piece going to the hitch. It bolts to the frame of the machine on the side you can't see.

(by the way, I split this thread from the other for organizational reasons in case anybody wondered)

I am looking at roll cage options for my Hustler 980 Big Foot as well. I am going to run up to Recreatives (the company that manufactures Max ATVs in Buffalo, NY) and see if their Max IV roll cage will fit my Hustler. If not I plan on making my own. I think I can replicate the original Hustler roll cage (which I believe is aluminum) pretty well. Here's a pic of a Hustler with the factory original cage.
    Attached Images
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Again guys, THANKS!!!
    This whole forum thing is starting to catch on (for me); share everyone's knowledge... I think I am getting it.
    I hope at some point, I will be able to share my knowledge with somebody; rather than strictly solicit your's....

Side note:
    My brother turned me on to the idea of the internet/forums; he has Gheenoe (excuse my spelling if incorrect?); which is basically a canoe with a flat transom where you can mount an outboard or trolling motor, but it can get in really skinny H2O.
    These guys do some pretty sick modifications to these canoes (on steroids), they are pretty cool "No-Wheelers" (JP, you might not like them they are missing all 6 wheels, not just 2..Ha-Ha).
    He lives in the S. portion of Florida (I am in Houston, TX area, but travel everywhere) and fishes the everglades and Keys pretty regularly.
    He lives off of the forums that share this info, and when I told him of my newest toy (project) he reccomended I check out the web.

Man, I tell ya! what a reccomendation!!!! You guys kick butt!!!
    Thanks, for everything, I can't wait until the next reply, post or anything.... I think I am addicted to this site!

Thanks Travis! Keep posting up more pics and ask as many questions as you want. I think that Mike is going to have one of the biggest and best 6x6 sites on the net. If you could keep telling more people about 6x6world that would be excellent. I think I have seen those Canoes on steroids that you speak of. I came across a website advertising something like that......they were little vessels powered by big Briggs V twin engines. Pretty neat!

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    If you could keep telling more people about 6x6world that would be excellent.
    Jeff, where do I send your check?

Thanks for the kind words and without you guys this place would be nothing!

Mike

+ Reply to Thread