build one of these????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: build one of these????

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir

build one of these????

AMPHIBIOUS SELF PROPELLED CARRIER WMB50402416ASPC

Yeah you read right I am currently in the planning stages of building a scaled down version of this machine. I rode them in the late '80s and have wanted one since the first day I climbed onto the deck and found a place to hold on, while the driver tracked unconcerned through miles of Louisiana swamp. I was completely awed then and have been every time I think back to those days, remaining so to this day. I rode a steel boat some of that time while one of these pulled us through mile after mile of swamp. The most staggering testament to their durability was that over the 2 months and about 150 miles of siesmograph lines we layed out, I NEVER EVER saw one of them worked on-EVER! In all of that we pulled a winch line 1 time. I figure once I get started, this project will take something around 12 to 18 months to complete, at the very minimum. The track will be the biggest expense. This I believe will be my most ambitious project to date, but like they say: If it's gonna' be a bear...it might as well be a grizzly!

scroll down and click "view picture"

Thumbs down cool

Thats one big MUDDA TRACKER

I like the option to outfit it with a helicopter deck!

Sweet ain't they

Thumbs down

looks like an attex big foot, only with tracks instead of tires. I can see having some fun in one of those. Like a pontoon boat only for land. Strap on a grill and a cooler and start cruisin

100% grade ability
    I can't wait to see this project progress

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I like the option to outfit it with a helicopter deck!
    Got a feeling that that's going to be a Bayou Bikini Babe sundeck. Ooo-la-la.

Bridget

Quote Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
    100% grade ability
    I can't wait to see this project progress
    I watched the surveyors driver -name was T-Jon- go completely vertical on a cypress tree while trying to make enough room to charge through a thicket of 2" to 5" diameter trees. I think the trees in front of him would have run if they could! Somewhere I have pictures of him completely suspended above the water, setting on top if a mass of them that he had pushed over and crawled onto. Then he starts cussing, gets one of his tracks on this BIG cypress tree, revs that Cat engine and up he goes-just like that-backwards! I'm wondering what tha... don't have to wonder long 'cause he starts honing tha' block on that Cat- still straight up on that tree- slams the sticks forward, comes down that tree and goes tearing through that thicket like it aint even there, awesome ain't the word, there ain't no word to describe that. I remember jumping up and down cheering at the top of my lungs YEAH!!!YEAH!!!HELL YEAH!!! over and over...
    Now they list the top speed of these at 3mph, I don't know how fast he was going; don't care, but I do know this... I... saw... trees... FLY! Actually break free of their stumps and go over the top of that buggy and never even touch it!

I know that many will probably never get the chance to ride one of these machines, may not again myself, but I hope that this somehow relayed, instilled or conveyed that experience, that feeling, of the memory that I have of those days. If you ever do get the chance, jump at it, there ain't no other ride like it.

That was 22 years ago today, strange how some things stick with ya'.
    And that is why I plan to build one of these!

Yikes HOLY COW

So here's where this project comes to a screeching halt. I came across a site while looking for ideas and info on these buggies, how they're built, cost of parts and material. There was a machine listed that would be a good start and it comes with a new motor, and the pump and drive motors to convert it to hydro. Following is the description. I talked with Bill Vom Weg and he said that it could be bought for $18,000 because the owner needs to sell it. That is way too big and way more than I care to pay for something to play with.

5.19.26. PRESCO MARSH BUGGY; SN T-63879*; STAINLESS STEEL TANKS AND MANY OTHER PARTS THAT WOULD BE CARBON STEEL ON ALMOST ALL OTHER MARSH BUGGIES AND EXCAVATORS, RESISTS CORROSION AND WEAR MUCH BETTER; HAS 3 CHAIN TRACK SYSTEM WITH HEAVY ALUMINUM CLEATS FOR BETTER STRENGTH AND LONGER USEFUL LIFE; WITH HEAVY DUTY MECHANICAL WINCH AND FAIRLEAD; WAS LAST USED FOR PULLING PIPELINES AND DREDGE PIPE OVER MARSH LANDS; ENGINE WAS 6 CYLINDER GAS, CHRYSLER 318* (M+L 3318); HAD MECHANICAL DRIVE SYSTEM NOT HYDRAULIC, NEEDS UPPER REPAIR OR IT WOULD BE VALUED AT ABOUT $75,000. USED; WAS FLOODED DURING HURRICANE KATRINA 2005 08 29 AND OWNER WORKING ON OTHER THINGS WITH NO TIME OR CREW TO REPAIR; PART OF REBUILD STARTED; INCLUDES PARTS BOUGHT FOR REPAIR AND UPGRADE: CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE REPLACES GASOLINE ENGINE; HYDRAULIC PUMP, MOTORS FOR DRIVE, TANK AND OTHER HYDRAULIC PARTS REPLACES MECHANICAL DRIVE SYSTEM; TANKS ARE ALL STAINLESS AND WOULD COST $75,000. TO HAVE BUILT WITHOUT THE TRACKS OR ANYTHING ELSE; AN EXCAVATOR UPPER OF ABOUT 9,000 LBS COULD BE PUT ON THIS; UNDERCARRIAGE IS ABOUT 85% OR BETTER CONDITION; WAS BUILT ABOUT 1990 AND HAS LITTLE USE; EASILY TRUCKABLE WITHOUT PERMITS, OVER ALL DIMENSIONS: ABOUT 18.5 FEET LONG BY 8.45 FEET WIDE BY 8.5 FEET HIGH, TANKS ARE ABOUT 16.5 FEET LONG BY 2.5 FEET WIDE BY 4 FEET HIGH, 420 LBS BUOYANCY PER INCH OF SUBMERGENCE, FORDS AT ABOUT 2.5 FEET WITH ABOUT 1.5 FOOT OF RESERVE FREEBOARD (FOR ABOUT 4,000 LBS OF LOAD CAPACITY MAXIMUM); TOTAL BUOYANCY OF THE 2 TANKS IS ABOUT 17,472 LBS (7,925 KG) AT 2.5 FEET SUBMERGENCE THE EMPTY CAPACITY WITH THE ORIGINAL UPPER WOULD BE ABOUT 10,500 LBS (4,536 KG); THE ORIGINAL UPPER (ALL THE STEEL FRAME, ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, DRIVE TRAIN, FUEL TANK, WINCH, FAIRLEAD AND OTHER ACCESSORIES WAS ABOUT 5,500 LBS; THE 2 TANKS BY THEMSELVES WITH THE TRACKS AND SPROCKETS IS ABOUT 5,000 LBS (2,495 KG); ORIGINAL WEIGHT WAS ABOUT 10,500 LBS; $24,000.

5.19.12. MARSH EXCAVATOR CHAIN; NEW; 10 FOOT LENGTHS WITH ONE MASTER LINK (CONNECTOR LINK) PER SECTION; PHOTO A(40K); 3 INCH PITCH $39.50 PER FOOT PHOTO B(40K); (PITCH IS THE DISTANCE FROM CENTER TO CENTER OF THE PINS THROUGH THE ROLLER IN THE LINK); TO DETERMINE LENGTH NEEDED COUNT THE NUMBER OF CLEATS AND MULTIPLY BY 2, BE SURE TO ADD THE COUNT OF ANY CLEATS REMOVED AS THE CHAIN WORE AND GREW LONGER THAN ADJUSTMENT AVAILABLE; WEIGHT *; 4 INCH PITCH $32.50., PER FOOT PHOTO C(40K); WEIGHT 160 FEET OF 4 INCH PITCH CHAIN WEIGHS 680 KG NET AND 720 KG GROSS WEIGHT; DIMENSIONS: 43 INCHES LONG BY 40 INCHES WIDE BY 30 INCHES HIGH; PHOTO DX(40K); PHOTO G(40K); 5 INCH PITCH $46.50. PER FOOT PHOTO E(40K);, WEIGHT 120 FEET OF 5 INCH PITCH CHAIN WEIGHS 730 KG NET AND 770 KG GROSS, DIMENSIONS: 43 INCHES LONG BY 40 INCHES WIDE BY 30 INCHES HIGH; 5 INCH PITCH CHAIN IS 33% HEAVIER THAN 4 INCH PITCH AND LASTS ABOUT 33% LONGER PRICES CHANGING EVERY FEW MONTHS UPWARD; UPDATED 20081128 4 INCH CHAIN HAS ABOUT 15 CLEATS PER 10 FOOT OF CHAIN LENGTH; 5 INCH CHAIN HAS ABOUT 12 CLEATS PER 10 FOOT OF CHAIN LENGTH;

So, as you can see, this would be a VERY expensive build. The way I figure it the chains and cleats alone would run up around $17,000. Bill told me that it would be almost impossible to chop down/convert this machine to the size that I'm wanting to build, so that is out. The expense of the tracks alone would put me in a fully loaded max, or even come close to a 2010 Muddox. So that is that.

Thet is kinda what I figuerd would happen. It always does. It seems that the cooler or more fun it is, the more it's gonna cost ya. That's why makin' your own stuff is so much more fun!!!
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

+ Reply to Thread