registration and insurance in Ontario

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: registration and insurance in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by treverds View Post
    Does anyone know what laws apply here in the states?
    This is a generalized answer to your question. First of all you have to determine if your machine fits your own state's legal definition of an ATV, ORV or some other type vehicle classification. If it does, then you have to abide by the regulations set down by your state. Each state has it's own laws that govern registration and the use of ATVs and or ORVs within that state. The regulations can be very different from state to state. In some states an aatv is not considered an ATV or ORV and they cannot be registered or operated on public lands. Some states govern the use of an aatv on water, ice covered lakes and rivers etc. In some states an aatv is required to be registered as a watercraft if used on the water whether or not it is registered as anything else. If you are operating your machine in a state where you are a non-resident, you are governed by that state's regulations and laws.

Check with the regulatory agencies in your own state to see what laws govern the use of your machine. In many states the DNR regulates ATV use. Their use on Federal lands also varies depending upon what state the Federal lands are located in.

Max 6 Wheel Drive

geico will i believe as an atv but i think i want to insure mine as a boat that way if it sinks i still get the money full coverage for 4,000 was 170 a year on my max IV from geico i believe
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

I have my insurance through co operators. My 2008 Frontier is $220.00 for everything except on water, if it sinks, I'm sunk. But it covers fire, theft, personal liability, personal damage and passangers. Wish my car was that cheap.

I have it plated and have been asked for proof by the OPP and everything was GOOD...
    Ya ain't stuck til the winch cable comes out!!!

Reg.&ins.in ont.

My 2005 avenger was never reg. And with help from my local licensing office
    i had a plate num.and was on my way minus the provincial sales tax due on the
    private sale.insurance was not a problem either same company that insures my
    house gave me coverage.if you have options such as a plow tracks or enclosure
    i was told if my bill of sale had shown them seperately i would not have paid our
    prov.sales tax on them.

yellowargo,
    i have my house, cottage and boat with cooperators......but they won't do my Argo!! GRRR!

just checked on Ontario website. The Argo is not classified as an ATV. Along with the Gator type & Utv,s such as a Rhino. They are not allowed on any roads that "REAL ATVs" are. What are Argo owners supposed to do!!! This province sucks>> Its getting to the point where we cant do anything to have a little enjoyment. So if a guy spends Twenty Grand or more on a new AVENGER ,wher the Hell is he going to drive any trails!!!! Its a friggin JOKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    just checked on Ontario website. The Argo is not classified as an ATV. Along with the Gator type & Utv,s such as a Rhino. They are not allowed on any roads that "REAL ATVs" are. What are Argo owners supposed to do!!! This province sucks>> Its getting to the point where we cant do anything to have a little enjoyment. So if a guy spends Twenty Grand or more on a new AVENGER ,wher the Hell is he going to drive any trails!!!! Its a friggin JOKE!!!
    I'm not sure what to tell you but I have mine licenced with an ATV plate that tells me I can use it as an ATV otherwise why would they licence them as an ATV. I'm in Ontario.
    After the game the King and the Pawn end up in the same Box!

I finally got my Attex Truck registered and insured this week. Oddly, it took more time to insure my rig than to register it. I guess in the U.S. a law was passed 1980 requiring all VINs to be 16 characters long. My Attex is a 1982 and only has about 10 characters. That held up the insuring process by about 2 weeks because my agent had to fight with Allstate Customer Service to get it through. Meanwhile, the dreaded NYS DMV had me in and out in about an hour (of which 55 minutes was spent waiting for my number to be called).
    Banned

I just moved to Ontario from Saskatchewan and I talked to the OPP in my area. Northwestern Ontario (Dryden-Ignace area ) I was told that all that is required for my 1991 Argo Magnum is the slow moving sign. no registration, no insurance, no helmet. They said that that is all it states in the traffic act and if I was questioned by a younger officer they told me to tell them that.

Sorry to be the guy to bust your bubble Dave but... I have a friend who ended up in court in Ontario about just this matter. No insurance, No helmets, No registration and he had a slow moving vehicle sign. After months of cancelled court dates and frustration because no one knew what the laws were, including the OPP officer who fined him to begin with, he got the fines waved with the exception of the no helmets which if I remember correctly was 80/ person and he was full up. He has since complied with the new laws but it continues to be a thorn in his side and still does not like to discuss it. It all comes down to the officer involved and his/her intrepretation of the law. Argos are a grey area so I chose to air on the side of caution.
    Ya ain't stuck til the winch cable comes out!!!

+ Reply to Thread