registration and insurance in Ontario

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: registration and insurance in Ontario

registration and insurance in Ontario

I bought my Argo brand new in 2005, and only decided to plate it this year after a run in with OPP on the lake, so went to my licensing office with the original bill of sale, and they told me to get a NVIS (new vehicle imformation statement) from Argo. so I called up Argo, and they were very helpful, and sent it out right away, howerver its a duplicate because the originals are sent out with the machine whitch i never received, and the MOT will not accept a duplicate!! GRRRRR! the last time i tried to insure it in 05 i also had trouble because Argo was not recognized as an ORV or ATV, so that's my other mission this week, anyone from ontario gone through this?

Not yet, but I think I will have to go that route soon enough. I have been kucky so far as I run mine on a friends private prperty. I also would like to take it up north, but that is where I am sure I will run into the problem of no plate either with the OPP or the MNR. I didn't buy new, mine is an 83 and have the bill of sale, but it looks like it will be frustrating. Fortunaletly though I have a family member who owns a licencing office and I hope will give me all the info before I go through the steps. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
    Cheers,
    Al

There is a big difference in MTO offices... Some are good, some are bad.... try a different MTO office, some seem to make everything a P.I.T.A..... I had a customer bring me in a NVIS that I had given them saying that it wasn't what the MTO wanted... Turned out that the first line on the top of the Argo NVIS reads "Manufacturer's statement of Origin" then Below in a little bit smaller text it read "New Vehicle Information Statement" They actually told the customer that they needed a NVIS, not a Manufacturer's statement of origin and sent the customer away..... C'mon open your eyes, it's the same damn thing!!!...

Try a different MTO office, or else photoshop the NVIS and remove the duplicate stamp! LOL
    Matthew

I showed up at the local MTO with a manufacturer's statement of origin from Argo and they were not sure what to do so they made a call to a head office of some kind and they ok'd it. I had an old ATV plate with me and they transferred it to the Argo. My insurance company had no problem insuring it and it is comparable in price to a ATV.
    After the game the King and the Pawn end up in the same Box!

Ok, went back this morning with the Duplicate NVIS form, and a letter from my dealer stating i was the original owner, (even though i showed them my original bill of sale last week)'
    they called their head office, made me sign a piece of paper stating i necer received my original NVIS, and FINALLY got my plate!!

Matthew, you are so right about different MTO offices, my neighbor lives in Niagara, went to his MTO this morning with just the duplicate NVIS that we received at the same time, he bought his machine used....in the states......they gave him his plate ,no problem!!

so my next step is insurance, can you guys tell me which insurance companys you use?

thanks,

Ed

eh you guys gotta move out to AB with those toys , no tags , no ins , no mto , no nvis and we dont need permits to go camping or skidooing in the bush ,if you got a fishing licence your good to go ,not much gov BS out here , the wild wild west LOL
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

Does an argo qualify as a "slow moving vehicle" and only require the orange triangle bordered with red sign? Or is it a boat maybe? and need to have a pleasure craft license?
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/smvs.shtml
    Last edited by garbie; 01-25-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added link

classified as ORV (off road vehicle)

Does anyone know what laws apply here in the states?

ok, latest update............turned down so far by 3 insurance companies!! GRRRR!, my car insurance won't touch it, neither will my house/cottage ins. and i did and online quote with td can. trust, was all excited because argo actually popped up as an otion, called them today and they said it's a generic online software, but they won't insure Argo!!!

+ Reply to Thread