id attex

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: id attex

id attex

Hello all, this is my first post and first 6x6 but I have been reading here for sometime. I bought a attex (pics in my gallery) It is a poly body but I can't read the numbers on the frame. The motor is not original. I think the exhaust was on the left side and exited out the mesh in the hood. Can someone say what model/year? It runs, drives but does not steer right well but left is good. I think the bands are wore. It had gear oil in the t-20 I replaced with atf. I would like to replace the motor with a harbor freight 13hp 1" shaft. What clutch would work and does anyone have one for sale. I need a throttle cable. Is there a universal available? Thanks

Hey, EC;

Welcome to the forum. That's either a Superchief or a Tomahawk- probably '77 to '80. If the clutch on the T20 is original, it was a Superchief. It's got some real potential- good luck!

Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

It does not appear that a hole was cut in the body for the exhaust....might tip the scales back toward a Tomahawk...unless it was an SC with factory tracks.
    Banned

That is correct no hole cut in body for exhaust. What was the original motor in the tomahawk?

It had a 4-stroke, 16hp Tecumseh. Your T-20 appears to be set up for a 2-stroke like Don said. So it was either an SC with factory tracks or a Tomahawk that was converted over to a 2-stroke and whoever did, also switched the spring in the clutch. It's hard to say because the Tomahawk and the factory track setup are both kind of rare. It's a HDPE body which is cool. Is it in good shape?
    Banned

The tires on the left side rubbed through. Seems like the body sagged on that side there is less clearence than on the right. I have been looking for a pic that has that hood but can't find one. If it was the SC with tracks it would have the muffler on the left?

It must have been set up for tracks whether it was a T'hawk or a Superchief. Both of them had the muffler cut out on the right side if they weren't meant for a track set. There was once a steel baffle on the left that protected the body from the heat of the muffler - looks like part of it's still there.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Yes, there is part of a bracket there.I don't know if this helps but the tub is original black and the top was painted. What can I use to patch the holes over the tires? Can I jack up the side and heat it to get more clearence over the tires?

Attex produced the yellow top/ camo bottom from 76 or 77 on up to 1980(?).

You can suspend the body from the center band and warm the tub where it bends out over the wheels, but you have to be careful or you'll distort the plastic permanently. If you decide to try it, do a little bit at a time. I made a wooden 2x4 frame to hold bodies up by the belly band and it worked pretty well.

You can patch the holes with pieces of HDPE from another green body. I probably have some if you need it. Good luck!

If i was you i would consider a 16 horse powermax engine for a replacement a little more power than 13 . And it has been a proven engine by other member ask larryw his rips but i think it has a baker hill tranny in it. And i believe he removed the governer. I have a new 13 horse powermax thats going into my sons scrambler wish i would have got a electric start. You have a nice machine there and welcome to the site.

+ Reply to Thread