New tires for a Hustler 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New tires for a Hustler 6x6

New tires for a Hustler 6x6

Hello All!

I just found this forum a few days ago and have been enjoying reading everybody's comments.

I bought a Hustler 6X6 last weekend and I need new rubber.
    It has Goodyear 11X22x8 Terra-Tires on it now, that are probably the original tires.
    I have two leakers and all of them are shot due to dry-rotting.

I do pipeline inspections all across the US, so I need a tire that offers: a comfy ride, good land traction, can withstand a few mesquite thorns and sharp stumps, and acts like an outboard motor while in the water...
    In other words, I am looking for the "Perfect-Tire" for an inexpensive price.

Well I am going to assume that I am up sh*t creek with a broken chain?

I really do not have much info about this machine, but I am wondering if I can put on a larger tire?

Attached is an image, I am not sure if I can go larger due to the clearance; what do you guys think?

Thanks All!

Travis

I would recomend the 22x11x8 Goodyear Rawhide III. They have a good ride, they're one of the toughest tires that can get you through just about any mud, and they paddle decent. Check out www.tiresunlimited.com They have some good deals on them there. You could get the 25x12x9 Goodyear Rawhide III tires but then you would have to go to 9" rims. They would just clear your fender wells on the Hustler. Either way, you can't go wrong. Hope this helps, and good luck with the machine!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks JP!

Again, I know I thanked you on the other thread, but really thanks!
    I am now feeling like I am not going into this blind.

Question; that Rawhide III looks just like the Terra-Tire that is on the machine now?
    Would I be O.K just replacing the rubber that needs it?
    I would assume changing all 6 at a time is preferred, but I am cost conscious as well.

To be honest, where I will be running it for the next few months is in the Southern portion of Texas and the same Southern region of Lousiana; "Black-Gumbo-Mud-Clay".
    Man; I gotta tell ya! This stuff is nasty!!!!

I will post some pics (next week we are back on site), but the soil conditions change daily; we had several inches of rain today-in a few hours time-(100 degree heat will dry it up quick, I mean the ground splits overnight; it really is extreme---- I blame it on El-Nino??)

Water speed is of the least concern (although appreciated), I plan on draging a small boat behind me for these areas (hence the need for the ball-mount on the other thread).
    Truthfully, I need something that can withstand some serious puncture opportunities as well as get me out of the nasty muck.
    I haven't seen a "Mudzailla" tire yet that will fit (those things are sooo nasty, I love em'- they work the best for ATV's [only 4 wheels] down here), but the tread is perfect for my application.
    I am pretty sure with it's 3" treads, it would still move her along the H2O, or I can paddle or drag it behind the boat, attach a small motor, something?????

Any ideas, as always; are greatly appeciated....

Thanks,
    Travis

Sounds like some pretty extreme weather down there! Honestly I have never tried any of those Mudzilla tires. Im sure you could use them but I wouldnt go bigger than a 24" or 25" tire on the Hustler. 24" would probably be the safest bet since it has such tall lugs. A lot of suspension is in your tires and those tires might ride a little bumpy and stiff. If you could post up a link to the website of tires that you are considering we might be able to help you out a little more. I can tell you from experience that the 22" Goodyear Rawhide Terra tire worked very well for me. I got through some pretty thick mud and I have rarely if ever got stuck because of a lack of traction. You could replace the tires in pairs and just save up some money as you go.
    You could attach an outboard motor. I would love to work with you on some ideas for that because I am going to be putting a little 2.5-5HP outboard on my Hustler Big Foot so I can take it in Lake Erie.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Travis,

I think I would just make sure you have a pump inside the tub in case it leaks a lot of water and go with an outboard motor like Jeff suggested instead of trailering a boat with you. That way you don't have to stop or anything. Just drive right on through. As for the tires, I don't have enough experience there to help. I'll leave that up to Jeff

If you can fit a 24" tire I would check out tsl super swampers or maxxis mudbugs if you can find them for a 8" rim. Memorial day weekend there was a 6x6 playin around in a pipeline mudhole in marshall, TX with vampires and it did really good.

I'm pretty sure that on a standard Hustler you can just get by with 24" tires. I have seen some pictures of a Hustler with 25x12x9 Goodyear Rawhide III tires, like on Argo's, and they just barely cleared the fenderwell. I think that 24" would be the maximum that I would go on a standard Hustler. Do you have a link to those tires you're thinking about?

I got to looking around and the mudbugs are not made in a 8" rim size.

TSL / Vampires :: Interco Tire

those would be my first choice, and if I can find 10" rims I will be running them.

+ Reply to Thread