Attex 4 Stroke Green Machine Restoration

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Attex 4 Stroke Green Machine Restoration

Attex 4 Stroke Green Machine Restoration

Today I began the restoration on my green poly body Attex. It is official now, it will be converted over to a 4 stroke Briggs Vanguard machine. I brought the machine home from my friends house where I was storing it and got right to work on it after it spent some time modeling its new shoes. I absolutely love the look of the 22" Goodyear Rawhide III tires on the machine. I was very happy with how easily everything came apart on the machine when I was taking it apart. It sure is nice working on a machine that has been sitting in a barn since the late 70's. I had all of the sprockets out except for the front right and I ran into a problem It was stuck on the axle. After a call to Hydromike and some good advice from him, I soaked it in penetrating oil and put a pipe wrench on the sprocket tube and another on the axle outside of the tub. I put a pipe on the end of the wrench for some extra leverage and started turning with all my strength. After a couple tries, it came loose!!! What a great feeling that was! I kept working it back and forth and then it came free. Tonight I got everything apart and ready for sandblasting. I will be pressure washing the body soon (which is in absolutely beautiful shape). I will be sure to keep everyone posted on the restoration. Thanks for all of the helpful advice in my other Attex 4 stroke conversion thread everbody!!!

Here are some pictures of the progress this evening. There are more shots in the photo gallery section of the forum. Happy 6x6ing!

Last edited by Mike; 01-01-2008 at 05:50 AM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

That is going to be one sweet project! You are moving through some six wheelers this year. At this rate, all aatvs should be restored in 2018

I am a little jealous that your "stuck" sprocket came loose so soon. Don't you know that the one sprocket that is always frozen to the axle is supposed to frustrate you for hours... I think that is a 6x6 law you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That is going to be one sweet project! You are moving through some six wheelers this year. At this rate, all aatvs should be restored in 2018

I am a little jealous that your "stuck" sprocket came loose so soon. Don't you know that the one sprocket that is always frozen to the axle is supposed to frustrate you for hours... I think that is a 6x6 law you know!
    Thanks Mike! If we get you into some restorations when your schedule frees up, and as this site keeps growing the way it has been, we might be able to cut that deadline by 5 years or so.

I talked to Hydromike on the phone and I said, Mike had to cut his sprocket all up and I think thats what Im going to have to do. I was just about ready to do that until he talked me into trying the pipe wreches on it. That was pure luck on that, and yes the 6x6 restoration law states that 5 out of 6 axles will come out and that last one is there to drive you nuts.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Looking forward to your restoration pics. Have you given any thought to upgrading to 1 1/4" axles? Anyway, it looks like a great project. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Whipper

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    Looking forward to your restoration pics. Have you given any thought to upgrading to 1 1/4" axles? Anyway, it looks like a great project. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Whipper
    Whipper,

Can that be done without doing anything to the frame?
    Banned

It might be possible, but I'd have to research my bearing book on Monday & see if there is a flange that will still bolt up to the Attex siderail.

Whipper, if there are bearings that would work with that side rail of the Attex frame I would do the 1 1/4" axle upgrade in a second. That way all of my Max axle parts would be able to be interchanged with my Attex. That is a really good idea and Im not sure why Attex never ran the bigger axles originally. I would imagine that it comes down to cost. It would probably be much cheaper to make axles by taking a piece of cold rolled 1 inch steel and drill 2 holes in it and also there would need to be more steel used to make larger side rails. I am going to try and get the frame to the guy that does sandblasting for me this week and then start fabrication of the motor mounts. I talked to our good friend Don this weekend and he measured the clearance between the frame of the Attex and the engine cover and it appears that my Vanguard will fit under the stock engine cover with just about 1" to 1/2" inces to spare. So far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Whipper, if there are bearings that would work with that side rail of the Attex frame I would do the 1 1/4" axle upgrade in a second. That way all of my Max axle parts would be able to be interchanged with my Attex. That is a really good idea and Im not sure why Attex never ran the bigger axles originally. I would imagine that it comes down to cost. It would probably be much cheaper to make axles by taking a piece of cold rolled 1 inch steel and drill 2 holes in it and also there would need to be more steel used to make larger side rails. I am going to try and get the frame to the guy that does sandblasting for me this week and then start fabrication of the motor mounts. I talked to our good friend Don this weekend and he measured the clearance between the frame of the Attex and the engine cover and it appears that my Vanguard will fit under the stock engine cover with just about 1" to 1/2" inces to spare. So far so good!
    You're right, cost was probably the only reason. Maybe you can go up to 1 3/16 axles? I'll check it out for you. You might have to drill new holes, but it would be worth it in the end. The bearing isn't the problem, the flanges are. My bearing book is as thick as a phone book,it has every bearing and flange in it you can buy. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks Whipper, I appreciate your help. I have some 1 3/16" Hustler axles from 6x6world member boncrshr and I know that from my Hustler BIG FOOT restoration they use the same flanges as the Max does.

I tore down the T-20 on the green machine project tonight and the fluid was like tar........very thick, black, and a strong smell. I am guessing that this could be a result of sitting for 30 years? The frame will be dropped off at the sandblasting shop tomorrow and I will also be getting the body pressure washed and cleaned. So far so good.

+ Reply to Thread