Attex 4 Stroke Green Machine Restoration

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Attex 4 Stroke Green Machine Restoration

Looking good JP, keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    The frame will be dropped off at the sandblasting shop tomorrow and I will also be getting the body pressure washed and cleaned. So far so good.
    Hey Jeff,

What's it going to cost you to have the frame sand blasted if you don't mind me asking.
    Banned

I have a guy that sandblasts frames for $35-40. My Hustler BIGFOOT frame cost $40 because it is a little bigger. This shop does a really nice job too.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Jeff
    Got an idea that might convert your attex to 1 1/4 bearings. The flange on the left is a Max ,the O.D. of the bearing is 72MM. The flange on the right is the smallest you can get that will take a bearing with an 1 1/4 bore. That bearing has a 62 MM O.D. I'm thinking you can use that flange and drill 4 new holes in it so it will still fit your side rails. That is the bearing and flange I'm using on my Yellow Spider. That bearing is a Fafnir P/N RA100RRB. You can read the P/N of the flange off the pic. You will have to bore the hole in your side frame from 2.5 to 2.7. Should be easy to do with the frame out of the car. Can be done with a hole saw and the right fixture.
    Attached Images

Whipper, thanks for all your help on this! That would be a great idea. I might also be able to run factory Max sprockets and convert my machine to a 6 chain set up, which would equal lower placement of the engine. With solid 1 1/4" axles, the drivetrain on this machine would be extremely rugged.
    As you probably know, Max actually used two different bearings. Around 1994 I believe Max stopped using the smaller bearings and flanges (62mm I believe) and went to the larger 72mm ones that you have pictured.
    Last edited by jpswift1; 11-07-2007 at 08:27 PM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The body is all set to go since being pressure washed on Monday. I was very pleased with the way everything came out.

It was home to many mice and chickens since the machine had been sitting in a barn for so long. The smell was not pleasant, but now that it has been sitting outside for a couple days it has had a chance to get aired out. You will notice the drops of rain running down the sides. Since it has been so wet, the rain has washed anything out that isnt supposed to be there that the pressure washing might have missed. The next thing will be to get the motor mounts fabricated and paint the frame. Then things really get fun when it starts getting bolted back together!
    Last edited by Mike; 01-01-2008 at 05:51 AM.

WOW! You know that would make a beautiful Springer. Make it bad to the bone.We'll be expecting assembly pics as you go. Looks Great.

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    WOW! You know that would make a beautiful Springer. Make it bad to the bone.We'll be expecting assembly pics as you go. Looks Great.

Hmmmmm this would be the first green Attex springer! SOUNDS GOOD TO ME! I just might have to go in that direction with it down the road........ maybe putting those bigger side rails on and some bigger bearings from a Max on it would be a good idea. Now I am going to be up all night thinking about this machine being a springer riding down the trails with full 6 wheel independent suspension :drool:

I will keep posting up pics as they become available. Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I can make the side rails for you if you decide, It would be one of the best upgrades you could make.
    Whipper
    Attached Images

Whipper, those side rails look great! Would the bearings and flanges used in that application be the big 72mm Max bearings or the small Max bearings and flanges? I think we should get our friends Hydromike and Don to try this on some of their machines too!

+ Reply to Thread