Attex 4 Stroke Green Machine Restoration

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Attex 4 Stroke Green Machine Restoration

It has been a while since I've posted the updates on my restoration. I picked up a bunch of parts for a Max II from Recreatives that Im using for my Attex 4 stroke conversion including Max II engine mount plates, throttle handle and cable, and driven clutch. I also picked up my frame from the sandblasting shop today and it looks like brand new. I will be painting it in glass black next. As you all know from my previous posts, this frame was previously set up in a 4 chain configuration. Thanks to Don, I got the parts needed to convert it to a 6 chain configuration and install the Briggs Vanguard engine much lower in the frame. The machine will have a very low center of gravity, it will be able to use the stock engine cover, and I will have the clearance to install a larger motor in the future if I decide to. Here are some pictures of the mock up of how the set up will look. It is probably one of the easiest engine swaps that I have done so far.

Last edited by Mike; 01-05-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: link thumbnails by copying code under picture in gallery that says "Linked Thumbnail"
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hey Jeff,

It looks like you're going to have a sweet ride there.
    Banned

Thanks George, I'll try that 16 HP Briggs out for a few months, but if its not enough for me maybe they'll give us a deal if we both pick up a 29HP liquid cooled Kawasaki up at Recreatives.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hmmm....only one thing missing on the frame.... on the 6 chain setups, there is a piece of flat steel that runs beneath the T-20's right side as you're sitting in it. See the cradle that the T-20 rests in? See right below the output shaft on the right side? There's a bolt that resides in that hole which keeps that side of the primary chain tight, since that side of the T-20 hangs off a bit further. I was surprised at how much this piece is actually needed. It's bone simple and can be cut/bent-up/ and welded in a matter of minutes, but it's pretty critical. I'll give you some measurements off of the "R" or one of the other 6-chainers sometime soon.

The conversion looks fantastic. Very clean, Swift-worthy work!

~m

Mike, thanks for the heads up on that. Don also mentioned that to me when he gave me the T-20 trolley. If you could measure that piece, I would really appreciate it! I never even realized the R was a 6 chain set up. It looks like that piece would support a majority of the mass that the T-20 and the trolley exert. Also, the rear sprcket tubes will need to be cut down by an inch or two, and the rear frame rail will need to be flared out closer toward each of the outside frame rails (easily done using a pipe wrench and some good 'ol fashioned leverage).
    Last edited by jpswift1; 01-05-2008 at 12:14 AM.

There is some big news with the green machine restoration. Whipper is making me some 4140 Chromoly heat treated 1 1/4" splined solid axles for the machine. I will be doing the conversion to 62mm Max bearings that Whipper developed as well.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...1-4-axles.html

In this picture I moved the old axles to show how the tires will sit relative to the body.

jeff,

I'm glad to see your going to step uo to the 1 1'4 axles. You will be happy you did the project looks great. Now you need some argo flanges.

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    There is some big news with the green machine restoration. Whipper is making me some 4140 Chromoly heat treated 1 1/4" splined solid axles for the machine. I will be doing the conversion to 62mm Max bearings that Whipper developed as well.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...1-4-axles.html

In this picture I moved the old axles to show how the tires will sit relative to the body.

Very cool Jeff. You machine will be just like a tank, green and indestructible!
    Banned

Looking good, jp! Those axles will be tough puppies...
    Is that white stuff snow? Been awhile since we have seen that in Nashville...

Thanks for the kind words guys! Some Argo flanges would be really nice to have on that machine. If you guys are at some of the rides coming up you will all have to take it for a ride. And when that white stuff is all around you it certainly isn't fun to work on a machine then.
    Meinfield, when I'm down your way we'll have to take this little Attex along on a ride with our Hustler 980 BIGFOOTs. I can't wait to hear all about that big block Briggs in yours!

+ Reply to Thread