what aatv can fit the biggest tires?????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what aatv can fit the biggest tires?????

what aatv can fit the biggest tires?????

what 6x6 0r 8x8 can fit the biggest tires include pics or video lets see! i found one wow but missing two wheels lol
    Last edited by buckhntr17; 01-22-2010 at 09:52 AM.

That Japanese machine looks impressive. I think they should follow the example of their Axis ally and use the example of the German Horch staff car from WW2. It had a non powered hub in the drivetrain that took a much smaller tire/wheel combo. The purpose was to prevent the chassis from high centering on an obstacle, and to essentially roll over it. This Argo is in jeapordy of hanging the hub assembly on an obstacle and damaging the drivetrain. Look at the Maximus project as an example.

any other opinions about machines that hold the biggest tire

super swamp fox-think 26"?
    newt the bold-26-12-12
    980 hustler and............

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/brand...newt-bold.html
    Last edited by LarryW; 01-24-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckhntr17 View Post
    what 6x6 0r 8x8 can fit the biggest tires include pics or video lets see! i found one wow but missing two wheels lol

I think you should talk with forum member BW6 who has a set of 6-30" mud lights on his Bush WackerII. Out performs every other 6x6 in mud, swims about 2 mph, but those big tires twist axles and play He_ _ on wheel bearings. Ask him to post a picture . Here is video of his machine.

Has anybody thought about moving the rear axle 2" back on a 980 hustler?this would give room for 28" tires...

Robertlink02-cad,

Supposing you could do this, how do you plan on patching the existing large hole thats left when you move the axle over 2 " inches ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robertlink02-cad View Post
    Has anybody thought about moving the rear axle 2" back on a 980 hustler?this would give room for 28" tires...
    Robert, there are any number of things you can do to put bigger tires on an AATV, but take it from someone who had tried several combinations-going larger than 26" is more trouble than it's worth. The tires are hard to turn in the mud and cause axle and bearing problems. I currently have a set of 26x12x13 ASX Vampires on my max and this is about as tall as I want to get. I have several videos posted on the forum and You tube if you want to see how they perform. At one time i had a set of 27x12x12 Swamp Fox plus tires on my max and i have several videos posted of the max with these tires. They were a good combination-but gotta take the good with the bad. For now I will stay with the 26" ASX.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 04-03-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    Robertlink02-cad,

Supposing you could do this, how do you plan on patching the existing large hole thats left when you move the axle over 2 " inches ?
    Hey Dave,When I get that 980 tub from you than I will probably be getting a set of the gorilla silver backs to put on it,but the only way they are going to fit is by moving the rear axle back at least 1". I can also move one more inch to make the axles evenly spaced out. To do this it is really more simple than you think,it's just a matter of making adapter plates to put in place of the bearings than bolting the bearings to the adapters. After this is done I have to make room for the sprocket and chain,to do this I have to cut the frame to put a section of c-channel that would be the support for the rest of the frame. I don't think I'll be going with 28" because I think gearing will not be low enough and also with 27" I can always trim half the tread down and 27"s become 26"s with a 1" tread height.

Just one more thing to keep in mind about clearing big tires on the Hustler 980 tubs. You really can't move the center axle position much farther forward, unfortunately because then the one big sprocket that drives from the T-20 to the middle axle will be too far forward and it will hit. That hump in the middle of the Hustler tub doesn't give you much leeway to move the center axle forward or back.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread