1978 Super Chief

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1978 Super Chief

1978 Super Chief

I picked up a 1978 Attex 500 yesterday for $800.. This baby starts right up, runs great and looks pretty good! I have a few questions.. How does the transmission work? I realize you just push both sticks forward.. but what really happens in there? should the forward movement be gradual as you push the sticks? Mine doesn't really move until you push both sticks to there extremes.. I need to swap out all the tires since some are flat... But it runs good and drives great considering the tires are junk... those will be addressed tuesday.. Any tips on what I should check? I will add more pictures of the drive train tomorrow.. so How'd I do for $800 ?

First of all, you got a smoking deal!!! That green Superchief is a really nice machine.....I absolutely love mine too.

The T-20 transmission is like two transmissions inside one case.....one set of drums, planetary gears, and brake bands for one side, and another set for the opposite side. You have to push both sticks forward all the way to go forward. Otherwise the bands slip on the drums (which can be a huge advantage when navigating certain obstacles). There is 1 quart of ATF fluid in there as well. I probably missed a lot on this description so maybe someone else can chime in. This picture might help you out. It is a cutaway T-20 transmission that is on display at the Max 6 wheeler factory (Recreatives Industries) here in Buffalo, NY.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Here's the pic.
    Attached Images
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

You lucky @#$%!! I have a '78 superchief too......it is a great machine! There are some great t-20 articles in the how to section of this site.....read thru them and you should have a good idea of whats inside. Good luck with it.......they are a blast!

Heres the engine bay... The flex hose must leak quite a bit as it spits 2 stroke oil on the trans and side of the motor.. I spent a little bit of time cleaning and need to spend some more time in there... when the sticks are all the way forward is it normal to have play in this bolt? or should the arm be contacting that bolt connected to the band?

The play is normal with it. Just take it out and enjoy it.....you've got a nice machine there.

What can be done about the flex hose? What's a good fix? Thanks guys so far!

I cant see your pics because I'm at work (some sites are filtered), but I still have the flex hose on mine with standard U-clamps and it doesnt leak. When I bought it, it had oil dripping at the motor connection, which I can only assume was because the previous owner mixed the gas 20:1. I use yamalube 2S oil at between 32 and 40:1 and the oil is now all gone.

That is a nice machine and at a great price. You should be able to find new flex-pipe at any auto parts store. I forget the diameter but it is a standard size.
    Banned

Ok, I got home and checked out the pics.....you stole it! It looks complete and unmolested. The inside looks just like mine.....down to the same battery! The flex pipe looks in good shape.....maybe tighten up the clamps and run it at 40:1 to stop the oil bath.

Good luck with it!

+ Reply to Thread