78 super cheif bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 78 super cheif bearings

78 super cheif bearings

one of the axle bearings (right front wheel) has some play in it... How tough is it to change the outer bearing? What is the procedure? Thanks Guys!!

as for how tough it is, that can depend. if the bearings and sprocket tube have been on the axle for 30+ years it's probably going to be a pain in the butt! while the machine is still drivable take the bolt out of the sprocket tube and see if the sprocket tube will spin on the axle. if it won't, leave the bolt out and go for a drive to try to break it loose. if it will spin then your ready to dive in.
    put the machine up on blocks. remove the right front tire. take all tension off the chain. try to remove the hub from the axle. if it will come off you will have an easy job. loosen the set screw in the outer bearing collar. there is another hole like the set screw hole 90 degrees from the set screw. you need to spin the ecentric collar to get it loose. stick a punch on the lip of that hole and hit it with a hammer a few times. if the collar doesn't come off, try hitting it the other way. once the collar is off, remove the 4 bolts holding the bearing carrier to the frame. sand the years of rust off the axle and try to slide the bearing off. if it comes off you just reverse procedure to go back together (put grease or anti seize on the axle where the bearing and hub ride so it won't be miserable next time)

now for the reality. you've driven the machine for a week with the sprocket tube bolt out and it won't budge. i would recomend trying to get the axle out and clean/ lube everything while you are working on it... your bound to bend an axle and have to get it apart sometime. put it up on blocks. remove tire. remove rf chain. remove brake assembly for most attex (i think your SC has the brakes on the T-20 so you can skip this step). try to remove the hub. if it won't come off you may have to cut it off or cut the axle. there may or may not be set screws in the inner bearing and they may or may not be tight... loosen them. try to remove the outer bearing as above. reality is that it's probably frozen to the axle too. at this point if the axle isn't also frozen to the inner bearing you should be able to pull the axle out till the sprocket tube hits the frame. (if not remove the 2 bolts holding the inner bearing cage to the frame) with the axle pulled out and hanging, use a dremmel or cut off wheel of your choice to cut through the outer race of the outer bearing in 2 places. once it falls off you can VERY CAREFULLY cut the inner race. again cut it in 2 spots (you don't have to cut all the way through, get it close then hit it with a chisel and it will break/ fall off). now you should be able to pull the axle from inside the tub. once it's out you can press the inner bearing and sprocket tube off the axle. clean and lube everything and put it back together.
    that should cover best and worst case scenarios.... use what ever combination of those things you need and let us know what you get stuck on.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I musta got a good one.... I removed the hub (simple), then removed the flange, eccentric collar was easy also, then bearing wasn't budging... I took a dremel and cut 2 slots in the bearing at the axle, 2 wacks with a Chisel and hammer and it rotated, knocked the minor rust off the axle and pulled the bearing off, reinserted the new bearing (after lubing the axle) and then fought the Flange bolts for a few minutes.. all in all it was simple!
    I started by pulling the bolt out of the Sproket collar ... However it is not free on the axle..I left the axle in there and gave it hell and I'm glad I did.. it took a whole 35 minutes!...

+ Reply to Thread