$50 split shifter setup

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $50 split shifter setup

$50 split shifter setup

finally got the max finished this weekend took 36hours straight non stop working in the garage with me and my buddy neil replaced two sets of axle bearings, put in new 530 drive chains, fabricated and installed the SPLIT Shifter setup , installed freshly rebuilt transmission, put the motor back in and after several adjustments got everything working correctly.

The SPLIT SHIFTER it cost me about $50 to make the entire split shifter and it took about 1 hour to fabricate so if anyone wants details PM me know i dont have exact measurments i did it all by eye which almost came back to bite me a few times but in the end i got it working like a well oiled machine and let me tell you its awesome!!!!!! hopefully some video later this week
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

How about just posting the measuerments and maybe some pictures for everyone to enjoy?
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Yeah, you don't have to PM the info, that's what a forum is for

I can pm you and I can post it here, lol.

I want to see.

BTW, we dont have a video walk around of a Max yet!! hint hint

I am interested in the split shifting as well.I have read that it can be hard on the drive belts though I'm not just sure why.I believe it would be very helpful in getting out of some types of trouble.The downside is one will have to learn to drive the T-20 all over again. LOL

since the esponse was so great i will post details pics and dimensions to the best of my ability later tonight and i will try to get a video walk around that was requested and maybe even some of me split shifting it does that sound good to everyone
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

Congrats and welcome to the world of split-shiftation. I've got split shifters on both my machines. The main benefit of this is that if you get high centered, you can put one side in reverse and the other in forward and make a hard right or left turn and get the machine out of the predicament. It saves alot of winching. I haven't had any additional drivetrain wear because Instead of gunning it hard when I'm high centered, I work it slowly, half throttle or less. Since I went to the split shifters I haven't had to winch (my machine anyway) a single time. If you rev it hard you will put alot of additional wear on the belt. Overall though the split shifter is one of the best mods that can be done on a t-20 equipped machine. The first time I used it when high centered I made that dramatic 90 degree turn and pulled myself off the obstacle. I was by myself that day, the nearest tree was about 60 feet away, and my winch has 45 feet of cable. I did have some engineer tape that I could have used, but the split shifter saved alot of work.

This is the custom split shifter set up that Brushcutter built for my Max IV. It works really well. He does exellent work! Shifting my Max IV into forward or reverse is now 50% easier than the factory set up. With the addition of the stainless steel , heim joints on either end of the shifting rods, this also helps it go into forward or reverse easier as well.

Last edited by mudbug3; 02-16-2010 at 03:40 PM.

that was a long weekend, haha

These are some Max IV , split shifter modification pics. A man on Route 6x6 sent them to me.

max IV t-20 split - a set on Flickr
    Last edited by mudbug3; 02-16-2010 at 03:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread