spd wedge

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: spd wedge

Smile spd wedge

The legend of the wedge lives on.

If anyone knows anything or has pics of the wedge, don't hold out the public has a right to know.

Here's one. I think I might have another pic or two on here, I'll have to look. I'm pretty sure they used a jet pump other than the Jacuzzi jet pump that Hustler used and they were powered by a 295 JLO single. I couldn't tell you much more than that. I think there's a guy in Grand Island, NY that has a nice one, maybe he could tell you more if he's on here or anyone knows him.
    Attached Images
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I've seen a few pics on the web but I have never heard of anyone telling about how they performed, or how they drove.

They are different to drive. I have never really had mine out for a real "All Terrain" drive. I'm too scared somethings going to break. I have plans on resurrecting mine with a 11HP Briggs to make it fun for the kids and not have to deal with the 2-stroke. I personally don't like the steering wheel. Even minor corrections require alot of input. A lot has to do with the cable set-up for the steering. The fiberglass resonates with the 2 stroke engine making it louder than it should be. I tried it with Rawhides and it rode like a brick. I put the balloon tires on it to make it ride better. The body/chassis does not flex and the seat is not that comfortable so you feel everything. It sits really low to the ground and that makes it different to drive than a Max , Argo or Attex. Also , its difficult getting into and our of it because of the seating position. Once I get the 4-stroke into it, I'm sure we will put more hours on it.

As soon as I'm allowed to post pictures I'll get some posted.

You are the first person I've heard, that has actually driven one. I hope it's ok for me to lean on you for advice.

I had noticed the play in the steering assembly, that is why I was looking at moving the disc brakes to the front of the argo tranny, the theory was to shorten the steering cables and reduce the throw required by the steering wheel. Also the disc brakes will not require as much throw as the original brake system.

Should I make it steer with a pair of sticks? Would this make it more controllable? If I use sticks I will probably convert to hydraulic brake calipers.
    With the hydraulic brakes it would not require much movement to apply full braking.

I am not interested in keeping this maching historically accurate, I love to hot rod, and will incorporate any adaptations that will not change the overall shape of the body ( which I think Is cool)

If you have any suggestion, anything at all let me know

Hey all
    I too will soon embark on a Wedge restoration. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I have no fear. My mission is to get it reliable enough to take it on gentle rides with my kids on a regular basis. It's great to finally meet some other Wedge enthusiasts. I cant believe how little info is available for the "coolest 6 wheeler ever made"! Unfortunately, my house is being remodeled so I can't get to mine for a couple of months yet but I'll post some pics as soon as I can. Let's try as a group to get these beasts running! Hopefully some other Wedge owners will come out of the wood work and we can all share information. As for engines, from what I understand the JLO 295is pretty reliable. I'd like to build a hot rod 295 to overcome the Wedge weight problem. Let me know what you experts think.
    T

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    As soon as I'm allowed to post pictures I'll get some posted.
    sorry to hijack the thread but liflod, you should be able to post pictures. I don't have any restrictions set there. Everybody should be able to do it. Just upload them to the gallery and once they are uploaded, just copy the code in the "linked thumbnail" box and paste it into the thread. PM me if you have any problems or if something's wrong and you can't upload pictures. I'll look into it asap.

I missed the upload button. I found it and posted a few pictures of my machines. Thanks Mike,

The cables are a problem for the steering. There's not an easy fine adjustment to them. You pull 'em tight and put a clamp on the cable to hold them in place. A turn-buckle type adjustment is needed. The steering wheel makes the Wedge pretty unique but its not that nice with the original set up. I have seen an Argo set up with a steering wheel so it can be done. If you're making your own linkage, I would keep it. Does your steering wheel telescope ? It took me many hours to get mine to work, but I think mines the only one that does. I know of about 8 Wedges that exist.

+ Reply to Thread