spd wedge

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: spd wedge

Tanker
    Your Wedge looks to be in really good shape. I cant wait to see how the modifications turn out. Keep us posted.
    T

Awesome! Are you planning on keeping the roll cage?

Can you get any more pics of the jet drive?

That picture is the jet pump drive. You cannot see the clutch that actuates the pump. I managed to pick up the factory parts manual and parts breakdown of the Wedge. Gotta love eBay.

dismantling the Wedge

I was taking a look at the Wedge yesterday (after about 2 years of it sitting untouched)

1. Is there a way for the fuel tank to be removed?
    2. I believe the entire drive assy can be removed as a unit, but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm?
    3. What's the easiest way to remove the drive axles?
    4. I have soaked and soaked and soaked rusty bolts in a spray on lubricant...they aren't budging. Is my only solution to grind off the heads or is there a NASA certified rust eater that I don't know about?
    5. Is standard 520 chain sufficient? Anyone know of a good source for chain?

I can only answer questions 4 and 5.....

4. Grind 'em if you can. If soaking with something like PB Blaster doesn't work after a long soaking time, you can try a little heat on the nut if it's reachable without damaging fiberglass. You'll likely want to replace the nuts/bolts if they're that bad anyway. I like it when they break. Much less work.

5. Try Motion Industries. Do a search for "40 Roller chain" (I think the Wedges take 40, right?). If the search engine doesn't give good results, give the local branch a call. They're always very willing to help people out, and they have several chain options available to fit your budget. I buy mine in 50 foot reels. There isn't really an economy-of-scale, but you're left to break it where you want, rather than having 3.2 feet left over from each 10 foot roll you buy.

I just finished re-chaining my RIM with #50 Diamond chain. 8 Chains total, with about 35 feet of chain for the whole machine.. That's a lot of chain.

~m

the entire drive train assembly is one unit which makes it easy to take out. I wish I hadn't thrown my old one away, but I thought I was the only spd wedge owner in the world at that time and new I needed to uprade. The axles should come right out if you have unbolted the carriages and the outside flanges.

as for the bolts, dont waste your time trying to free them up. just torch them off or grind them off or, I used a chisel on mine, my thumbnail grew back though.

you gotta get us some pics.

I think the fuel tank is held in by straps that are bolted through the hull to the outside above the tires. I haven't taken mine out yet but I have looked. let me know what you find out.

The quarter turn bolts on my Wedge are the best. You turn them 1/4 turn and they break off. Can't get much easier.

so quarter turn bolts is what they are called, I knew them as @#$$#@@ bolts and !@@#@## bolts the latter are metric I think

+ Reply to Thread