04 avenger chain tight chains?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 04 avenger chain tight chains?

04 avenger chain tight chains?

Hello, Jason from alaska here , just bought a 04 avenger and installed tracks . All of my drive chains seem extremely tight, can this be right? I've installed the tracks as per Argos instructions, measured my tires and all that. I've relaxed the tensioners and drove the thing and all chains are tight again . Dealer says supposed to be tight on bottom and loose on top. I have 3" of sag on my tracks off of ground . Any advise from you guys would help. I love this thing and had I known what this thing can do, I would have had one years ago

Thanks

What type track? Rubber or plastic? Seems you are still experiencing chain windup.

Early avengers needed upgraded chain tensioners, if not already done. For too tight chains. Then of course the track install issues including tire sizing.

They are Argo rubber tracks, the chains were this tight before I installed the tracks as well. Do I need fireplace all the tensioners ? How can I tell if they are the new style or not ?
    Thanks for the advice

I have an 05, same issue. Melted the plastic right off the sliders. I upgraded to the new style tensioners, tried it to other day and it appears to be better. Some guys take the rear set of chains off and they say it fixes the problem.

Thanks for the advice , just ordered new style tensioners and sliders . If that don't work I'm going to remove springs and make them manual adjusters. I don't really think the front ones are even necessary with such a small lenght of chain. Thank you for your help.

Have a 2006 Avenger, changed out the fine tooth adjuster for the course adjuster also. With the fine tooth when the machine flexes this allows the system to ratchet up and when the machine returns to a stable position the chains are over tightened. The course tooth adjusters should help greatly by resisting the flex to move to the next position due the spacing in the teeth.

If your chains were tight prior to installing the tracks this may be part of the problem. Chain wind-up seems to occur more with the rubber tracks than with plastic. This is due to friction between the two rubber materials. The plastic has a lower friction coefficient which allows slippage and less chain windup. That was the reason for the question: Rubber/plastic.

If you remove the chains from the rear wheels you will probably find reduced performance. This would be my last choice option.

Hope this helps

I finished putting my chains on last weekend. Took it out and didn't like the tightness of the chains. I let the tire pressure down to 5 in the middle and 3.5 front and back (down about a pd all around). I let the chain tightens off and took it for a ride. Seems pretty good now. Not as nimbler turning as just tires but the thing goes anywhere. 4 ft of powder...no problem.

My 2 cents.

+ Reply to Thread