Sperry Rand Tricub

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sperry Rand Tricub

Sperry Rand Tricub

I’ve just added another SPD trike to my family of 2 Tricarts. This one is the tamer Tricub. It’s similar to the Tricarts except has a steel frame under the fiberglass body and Briggs 5 hp engine. This one even has the front ski kit. I intend to restore this one also, but it’s together and running so I may just keep it together for a while and get to work on my other Tricart. The one thing that has me most worried (regarding restoration) is the rear tires. These tires seem to be the same or similar to what you AATVers refer to as balloons. They may even be the same tires as used on the SPD Wedges and other AATVs. I don’t know if they came in different sizes and there’s no size indicated on the sidewalls. One tire on this trike is in very tough shape with patches on the outside, but does hold air for a day or so. I’ll probably be making so more posts in the “Tires” and “Wanted” sections when I get deeper into this project. I’ll definitely be looking for a nice, serviceable pair of these, if I can find any.

Anyway, I appreciate you AATVers indulging me with my trike talk on this forum. I know that these funny little carts are not the primary focus of this board, but there seems to be a few fans on here. Hopefully I’ll be introducing you to my 2nd Tricart restoration project soon. This one has an interesting history.

I haven’t picked up the Tricub yet, but here are a few pics that the seller sent me.
    Tricub.jpgTricub (1).jpgTricub (13).jpg

SPD Tricart X5
    SPD Tricart
    SPD Tricub
    SPD Minicub
    SPD Wedge 295

I like the ski! Looks like another fun project. Keep us updated.

Very cool machine and thanks for posting up the pics! Those tires are the earlier, and more aggressive style than the more common Firestone balloon tires. These were made by Uniroyal. Uniroyal also made these with the "Attex" logo molded on them as well. My very first Attex 297 (first generation machine) had these same exact tires on it. You probably be able to find the less aggressive Firestone balloon tires rather easily, but the Uniroyals are significantly more difficult to come by.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Very cool machine and thanks for posting up the pics! Those tires are the earlier, and more aggressive style than the more common Firestone balloon tires. These were made by Uniroyal. Uniroyal also made these with the "Attex" logo molded on them as well. My very first Attex 297 (first generation machine) had these same exact tires on it. You probably be able to find the less aggressive Firestone balloon tires rather easily, but the Uniroyals are significantly more difficult to come by.
    Other than tread aggressiveness, are all these balloons about the same size? I know that it's a 3 bolt pattern on the hub.

SPD Tricart X5
    SPD Tricart
    SPD Tricub
    SPD Minicub
    SPD Wedge 295

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Other than tread aggressiveness, are all these balloons about the same size? I know that it's a 3 bolt pattern on the hub.
    The 3 bolt pattern is universal with all of the balloon tires. The only thing is that some machines like early Amphicats and early Scramblers used smaller mounting studs. If you happen to get one of these tire/rims with the smaller holes for the smaller studs, all you have to do is drill them out and you're all set. Don't worry though because these smaller hole hole wheel/tires are much less common than the others and making them fit your application is not difficult at all.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    The 3 bolt pattern is universal with all of the balloon tires. The only thing is that some machines like early Amphicats and early Scramblers used smaller mounting studs. If you happen to get one of these tire/rims with the smaller holes for the smaller studs, all you have to do is drill them out and you're all set. Don't worry though because these smaller hole hole wheel/tires are much less common than the others and making them fit your application is not difficult at all.
    Great... thanks.

SPD Tricart X5
    SPD Tricart
    SPD Tricub
    SPD Minicub
    SPD Wedge 295

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Great... thanks.
    Glad to help! Take a look at these on ebay right now:
    ATV Flotation Tires New Pair LH & RH Attex 6x6 : eBay Motors (item 200448839076 end time Mar-17-10 21:34:17 PDT)

They're going up pretty high already, but it sure would be nice to have brand new balloons for this project.

I'll keep an eye on them, thanks. There's also a couple of decent looking used ones on eBay now.

SPD Tricart X5
    SPD Tricart
    SPD Tricub
    SPD Minicub
    SPD Wedge 295

Nice find! Pretty cool machines!

I happen to run into this article with the and saw a trike with attex tires, lol. Thought you may like it.

Page 88 They called it a dune cycle? Is it same thing or not?

http://books.google.com/books?id=ogA...age&q=&f=false

+ Reply to Thread