Sperry Rand Tricub

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sperry Rand Tricub

Here is a link to a differential axle that Northern Tool sells for go karts. It might be just what you need.
    Heavy Duty Differential Axle — 38in. Length | Axles + Components | Northern Tool + Equipment
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Quote Originally Posted by stonewall View Post
    Here is a link to a differential axle that Northern Tool sells for go karts. It might be just what you need.
    Heavy Duty Differential Axle — 38in. Length | Axles + Components | Northern Tool + Equipment
    I know somebody else that was trying to retrofit that axle into a Tricub. The biggest issue is that the original axle is 7/8" and Northern axle is 1". He was going to try and find 1" bearings with same OD as the 7/8", so he could use the same flanges and not need surgery on the frame. I haven't spoken with him in a while, so I don't know if he was successful or not.

SPD Tricart X5
    SPD Tricart
    SPD Tricub
    SPD Minicub
    SPD Wedge 295

I was able to get over to our local small engine repair shop/junk yard. As soon as I showed a pic of the differential I was looking for they knew exactly. They said that Toro small riders used them a long time ago and that was a common axle assy used in homemade gokarts. Well needless to say they had a assy. with the tires. The assy had one short axle and one long. I needed another axle because my original one could not be used due to the previous repair. So I pressed off one of the diff gears from the short axle. Wow, that was really one there but came off with no damage and I will be able to press it back on to my other good axle. Now the other Toro long axle is about 1 1/2" shorter than the original Tri Cub axle. It still goes into the wheel hub a safe distance but I might have it lengthened just to make sure. I've been busy with other things but at this point I have and located all the pieces to completely get both of these Tri Cubs back together in working order. Now time to get parts washing!!

Toro assy

Pressed off gear from the Toro axle.

Inside of the diff. Not very heavy duty feeling!

That's cool to have identified that diff. Do you know which Toro family of mowers that they came from? If those bevel gears are only pressed on, you should be able to make axles (or have made) any length you want from some basic 7/8" shaft mat'l.

SPD Tricart X5
    SPD Tricart
    SPD Tricub
    SPD Minicub
    SPD Wedge 295

I have not yet indentified what Toro(s) they came from. I looked around the lot hoping to find a complete unit just for that but they didn't have anything that old. As far as the axles I will be able to use what I have with no issues which is good. But your right, it would be easy to have some made.

Looks like Toro used these starting maybe late '60's to mid to late '70's. I found Toro's part# 11-1800 for the Diff assy. Here's a Linkto a parts list of one model.

My mom just found an original belt to the Tri-Cub, it is a Comet 203597. Also the original price sheet and parts info. Cool stuff.

Nice find, hyper.

SPD Tricart X5
    SPD Tricart
    SPD Tricub
    SPD Minicub
    SPD Wedge 295

Tricub tires

I finally decided on 18x10.50-8 rear tires as modern replacements for the original balloons. Regarding size and shape, these are near perfect match, but obviously the tread pattern is different.

I made wheel adapters using custom laser cut discs and studs that I found at a Polaris dealer.

I borrowed a set of Carlisle AT 21x11-8s and tried out. These look more like the originals but there was noticeable reduction of power with this larger diameter tire and the 5hp Briggs. These tires would probably be ok with 8hp Tricub.

Now I can ride without having to air up every ½ hour.
    Also got the Tricub ski and Minicub frame back from powdercoat.

Last edited by wildman; 05-14-2011 at 01:30 PM.

SPD Tricart X5
    SPD Tricart
    SPD Tricub
    SPD Minicub
    SPD Wedge 295

I have to same tricub as you do. my tires run with the point of the tread to the front like a farm tractor. I like the ski idea. it looks like an old snowmobile ski, is it? Know anybody with a seat for sale? Thanks, John

+ Reply to Thread