1972 8x8 combat vehicle simulator

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1972 8x8 combat vehicle simulator

1972 8x8 combat vehicle simulator

Does anyone know anything about a 1972 8x8 combat vehicle simulator

Attex built a limited number of them for the military as tank trainers (274 if I remember correctly). They were based on an ST400 chassis with a JLO Rockwell 400 twin engine and T20 transmission. Gus and I had three of them and Hydromike's got one of them now all restored and looking great. Check his pictures in the Attex pages.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

wow cool my serial num is 43 and it is in real rough shape would like to restore but not sure where to start like how do i make it float again

The body on the machine that Hydromike started with was in pretty poor shape too, but his turned out very well. He kept a good record or his work here: Big Five - Amphibious ATV Pictures Good luck.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Thanks for the compliements Mr. K.

I've had the good fortune of taking Big 5 out on several WNY runs this late winter/ spring. Four of us went out around the Lockport area this past weekend and had an absolute blast. We were going through places that even an AATV had no business being. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with 'duc. I've been inside and out of the beast several times now, and might be able to lead you in the right direction.

Welcome to the "Eight Is Enough" crowd!
    ~m

what kind / size engine did you put in big 5 having trouble getting mine to run

I have located one but am trying my hardest to get a hold of it. This one was a fire and rescue vehicle for a town near here. It is in near perfect shape except the paint body wise. The motor is junk in my eyes but that dont matter. All I saw was a few holes in rear for draining are only like 1/2" or so. Cage still on and intact. Front seat was something automotive though. 8 bald tires of good year rawhide terra and chevron mix. It will definitely cost me but I am going to get it. Cross your fingers for me guys!!!

Hydromike has a lot to do with me wanting this. His was so rough but he got it soooooo nice. He does great work with plastic and metal too with the rear hood structures he makes. Hoop bars also. His machine turn out so awesome I am drooling!

Sounds like you'll have your hands full, Larry. But then again, labors of love are a lot more rewarding than work you don't care about. Best of luck and keep us updated as you progress!

Quote Originally Posted by duc127 View Post
    what kind / size engine did you put in big 5 having trouble getting mine to run
    Hey 'duc...
    I put in a Kubota WG750, which is a 0.75 liter (750cc) three cylinder gas engine. Mine was out of a Grasshopper mower. The WG's ranged between roughly 22 and 26 horsepower over the years, depending on where you get the information from. It came a self-contained unit, with the radiator attached right to the engine mount. It's not a screamer by any means, but lugs Big 5 around just fine. Plenty of power, and even with the dinner-plate sized primary sprockets, it cruises at nearly 20mph! I had to fabricate a drive hub for the clutch, which was the biggest obstacle. It's not perfect, but works well.

Thanks for the very kind words Larry! I wish I could bring it down to Ashtabula for you to cruise around in, but I honestly don't know if I can fit it on the trailer with all the racers. Unless I source a f'uge trailer in the next month, it may have to stay home.

Or I could just race it!
    (This brings images to mind of lugging slowly around the bends, blowing springers off the track with a .50 Cal mounted behind the pilot's seat....)

~m

Or I could just race it!
    (This brings images to mind of lugging slowly around the bends, blowing springers off the track with a .50 Cal mounted behind the pilot's seat....)

~m[/QUOTE]

......and tossing hand grenades into their engine compartments for good measure.

+ Reply to Thread