just bought an 1983 8x8 argo.now what?lol

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: just bought an 1983 8x8 argo.now what?lol

just bought an 1983 8x8 argo.now what?lol

finally bought an older argo,needs a bit of TLC but at least it is complete.it came with plastic tracks and is equipted with a kohler 17 hp engine that runs.i am usure of how to check for chain wear so please be ready for some goofy questions lol.here are some pictures of the beast,tell me what you think.

thanks
    Attached Images

Nice looking rig! Are you planning to re-work the bottom end? As for chains. Are the chain tensors all the way down? I am thinking( Evil, site name) has the same model and would be a great source for info on this year model machine.

Lewis

thanks for the reply lewis,i probably should replace all the goodies in the bottom end.just as soon as i get the ice out of it,im going to presure wash everything so i can see what needs to be replaced.i have not even priced parts yet so i have no idea what this will cost me.

cheers

member evil8x8 has the same machine, and i had one for a while. drain and replace the trany fluid before you run it... that kohler 17 will run great, but eats spark plugs like no 4 stroke i've ever met. if the chain tensioners are maxed out you will need to replace chain. the chains from the trany to the jackshaft are double 40, and the rest are double 50. the sprockets are pinned to the axles with roll pins. you will want to carry extras, along with a hammer and punch to drive them out and new ones in.
    good luck and keep us posted
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Yeah, I have a 1985 8x8. It is very similar to yours. If you have any questions let me know.

thanks for all the input guys.will work away at stripping this bad boy down and dont worry,questions will be aplenty.lol

That should make for a good ride when you are done. Keep us updated of your progress.

well today i made a few phone calls. found out that all the chains,sprockets and bearings for my argo are available at canadian bearing.10 ft of double 40 chain is about 150 bux.now i just got o look into new rubber.what kind of rubber are you guys running?

thanks

that machine probably has 20" goodyear runamucks under it. they are no longer made in that size. anything bigger and you won't be able to use your tracks. i believe that 22" is as big as you can go without tracks before they rub each other and the body
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Nice mach plott hound, you should get lots of enjoyment from it. Hey Cole, i thought of your mach as soon as i saw these pic's. i see some other members did also.

+ Reply to Thread