just bought an 1983 8x8 argo.now what?lol

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: just bought an 1983 8x8 argo.now what?lol

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    that machine probably has 20" goodyear runamucks under it. they are no longer made in that size. anything bigger and you won't be able to use your tracks. i believe that 22" is as big as you can go without tracks before they rub each other and the body
    yes sir,you are correct.the tires are 20x11 goodyear runamuck tires.i really wanted to be able to use the tracks in the winter,is there another alternative?
    thanks.

Surely there is a 20" x 11" tire out there that you can find. Maybe someone knows right off hand and will advise you Buy the way, nice buggy

Quote Originally Posted by mike bar View Post
    Surely there is a 20" x 11" tire out there that you can find. Maybe someone knows right off hand and will advise you Buy the way, nice buggy
    i agree my friend,and worrying about tires at this point is like putting the carriage in front of the horse.haha.

Nice Machine!!! Lot's of fun to work on them... I may have some plastic floor pans for ya if you need some. I am in Ontario as well. PM or email if your intrested.

Have fun with the cleanup!!!!!
    Dezi Gebel
    2 Early 70's Argo's Will Merge To Make One!

Hi Racerone3;

I had a 1984 argo 8x8 with a Kohler twin 17 that I used for work & play for 23 years. When I sold the machine it was on the third set of spark plugs. It was a very dependable motor. It had 2200 hrs on it when I sold it. I'm surprised that you used so many sparkplugs.

Ride Safe

EWS

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    member evil8x8 has the same machine, and i had one for a while. drain and replace the trany fluid before you run it... that kohler 17 will run great, but eats spark plugs like no 4 stroke i've ever met. if the chain tensioners are maxed out you will need to replace chain. the chains from the trany to the jackshaft are double 40, and the rest are double 50. the sprockets are pinned to the axles with roll pins. you will want to carry extras, along with a hammer and punch to drive them out and new ones in.
    good luck and keep us posted
    do the sprockets have to be attached to axle with roll pins?or can i guy use bolts?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dezi View Post
    Nice Machine!!! Lot's of fun to work on them... I may have some plastic floor pans for ya if you need some. I am in Ontario as well. PM or email if your intrested.

Have fun with the cleanup!!!!!
    message sent dezi.thanks

Weee Innisfil, I ride my bike through there quite a bit.
    '70's Argo 6x6 - Rebuilt from the ground up. Briggs 18HP Opposed Twin.
    Go where you want, don't get stuck, keep the rubber side down.

took a few more pictures guys.found the easy way to work on these suckers,split the shell.now i gotta get some chain,sprockets and bearings ordered.
    Attached Images

I know we have used them on machine at Busco before. When those pins snap it will not pull good. You may want to consider a axle upgrade while you are at it. Splined axles and sprockets would bring that machine into the 90"s. I am not so familiar with you bearing configuration but before i bought old style material i would consider the newer upgraded axles. Just a thought. New up to date axles are not all that bad as far as price.
    Last edited by lewis; 03-26-2010 at 09:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread