just bought an 1983 8x8 argo.now what?lol

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: just bought an 1983 8x8 argo.now what?lol

thanks lewis,this is the first argo i have ever had anything to do with.took the motor out and now have all the chains removed.next step is to start pulling axles.upgrade sounds good as long as it dont cost a fortune.

thanks again.

Hi plott hound;

I keyed the axles & sprockets on my 1984 argo, cost me $ 150.00 dollars for complete job. It was annoying having to unload everything in the back to replace the darn roll pins. I operated the machine with heavy loads in some tough conditions but never had an issue with the keyed axles. Best upgrade that I done on that machine. My new machine has splined axles & like Lewis said it might be worth checking out that option.

Ride Safe

EWS

So curious about this because I am way tired of replacing roll pins. Even knicked a chain with a hammer driving in a pin in the field last fall and boy did I have trouble then. The chain of course broke and I had to walk for miles, and then get pulled up a hill to get back home. If you did keys, why wouldn't I add grade 5 bolts and then just drive it a bit on the careful side? The axle upgrade is hard for me to figure out. Not sure where to start.

dont worry,will share all my picture when we get into this project.

here are another batch of pictures guys.i dont think ive ever tackled a project that i enjoyed as much as this one.
    Attached Images

this week i took the frame and got it sand blasted.just finished painting it with chassis saver.theres nothing like a fresh clean start.
    Attached Images

Nice work! Think I might tempt doing that to mine next winter

Nice and shiny! Looking good.

The best thing I can recommend is to strip it down completely to the tub and power wash the hell out of it. The top body is pop riveted on if it's like my '85. If you haven't got a photographic memory take lots of digitals while your taking it apart. Mark the axles as to their placement and the sprockets to the axles cause the holes likely won't line up if you just throw it back together. You mentioned cracks in the body, get an old clothes iron that has the silk setting on it(extrememly hot) this beats the hell out of using a propane iron since you have no thermostate.
    For cracks, use the front edge of the iron to trough out the crack on both edges and then smooth the over flow back into the gouge.
    Give it a try and if your looking for more input I just spent approx. 200 hrs reworking a 85 8X8 so I may have a few suggestions to help out.
    As you can tell I responded before looking at all your pictures. The only thing I could recommend is to paint your frame a lighter colour as the black tends to make everything hard to see when its barried in the engine compartment.
    After 35 years of millwrighting we've finally got engineers convinced to do things so they're maintenance freindly.
    Good luck1
    Last edited by Maplegrove; 04-18-2010 at 03:50 PM.

"As you can tell I responded before looking at all your pictures"

no problemo my friend,been there done that lol.im at a bit of a stand still untill i decide whether or not to upgrade axles to splined type.guess i will tear the motor down and freshen it up a bit in the meantime.

thanks for the tips! cheers.

+ Reply to Thread