oil sump chain galley

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oil sump chain galley

oil sump chain galley

hi there guys, has anyone given any thought to sealing up the top and bottom of the chain galley and converting it to an oil bath galley ?? i have an old swather that is some 25 yrs old and i replace some of the exposed chains every year but the one for the main drive is an oil bath #50 chain and ive never had to change it and ive owned it 10 yrs, my Argos looks like it would be easy to do (because of how the trani is layed out) my Max IVs would be a little harder but im doin a ground up on one of them right now so if i did it ,it would be a good time to try, waddayathink ?? should I ??
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

that sounds like a great idea to me. but on my scrambler my drain plugs are in the back of the galley. but I guess sealing up the very front sprocket section would give the same results. If you do decide to do yours PLEASE post some pics of your idea on how you are thinking of doing it. maybe we can brainstorm and come up with the most efficient way of accomplishing this. Also another idea I was thinking of is a self oilier. Maybe using the chain as the trip and making the oil come out of the container. But if there is a way to keep the oil in the front of the galley even on a steep hill I would be up for that.
    If you can't fly you might as well float...

well after looking at my argos again it would be nearly impossible to convert it to an oil bath (due to the sliding motor mount setup) . My maxs have the plug in the bottom Rr of the chain galley too but i wasnt gonna worry about it because one would still be able to get at them from the outside and drain the tub, besides ive never had a real prob keeping the water from comming in thru the brgs and seals ,my problem is leaves dirt and debris coming in the top and getting the chains dirty leading to failure of the chains and brgs , i was looking at the brg cages (extentions for tracks) and it would be easy to seal them up and put drain/fill plugs on them too but i will not be able to secure the set screws or concentric lock on the inside brg but it would prevent rust from building up on the axle shafts and making them difficult to work with, all the problems with the bottom end reliability mite be significantly reduced (or possibly eliminated) by doing this ,i dont see any down side (except making things harder to get at)
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

+ Reply to Thread