plowing snow in water

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: plowing snow in water

plowing snow in water

I'm new to this, but have been looking into an argo to be used primarily for plowing snow out of an irrigation ditch in the spring. There would be deep hard packed drifts and steep inclines to climb and plow over, also would it be possible to plow snow while floating in water soaked snow which the water is cutting through. I was wondering how an argo would fare and if a 6x6 or 8x8 would be better and how much better? i understand with the plow in front the argo will be nose heavy, but how bad would it be and could counter balance weights be used? i would also assume tracks would be necessary and rubber ones would be better. thanks for any advice

I HAD to click on this one when I read the title. If the machine is actually floating, you won't plow a heavy dusting. Argos are nose heavy to begin with. I would actually think that the plow and mount weight would bring the waterline dangerously close to openings, but I could be wrong, it may sink it straight away, or maybe it can be done safely? If it's wet packed snow, you'll sink less, but it'll be heavy. From what you describe I get the feeling this may be one case where you need heavy equipment to deal with it, but I don't have an Argo, I'm basing this solely on general plowing experience.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

I would look at a rear engine machine like a max4 or put a lil outboard engine on the thing. the wheels give very little force for forward momentum in the water.
    you could probably add some extra flotation ballast on the plow frame like some floats or a boogie board or two

It sounds like in straight water the plowing would be very limited, if even possible. how would it plow through normal to fairly hard drifts? and how steep of an incline could a tracked argo climb and still plow or more snow?

you would be able to do plenty without the water. with the water, if its floating you wont get enough thrust to plow. heavy snow is no problem though and inclines aren't a problem either

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    I have no experience with snow, but I did run (until I discovered it was the cause behind 2 broken axles) a heavy "plow", which was fabbed from a tractor type grader blade. I can say this: if the snow you are going to be plowing offers more "resistance" than a 3/4" to 1" sapling, plowing in water will not happen. Nor in deep slushy mud, nor gumbo- you know the sticky ball up on your tires kinda stuff, nor whatever you call that hard but very greasy on top stuff that you just spin on but the tires can't get a good bite in and you just do a 6X6 burnout when you meet resistance of any kind...

But what if you just ran back and forth through it a bunch of times and mashed it all up. You would probably have a lot more fun and not be winching nearly as much. Which raises another point: winching with a plow that is raised with your winch is in and of itself a particularly troublesome thing ....

+ Reply to Thread