Million $ Question: How can I make by Argo faster?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Million $ Question: How can I make by Argo faster?

Question Million $ Question: How can I make by Argo faster?

I have a Bigfoot that tops around 18mph. My bigfoot has an 18hp engine. I've noted that newer 6x6's have the 23hp engine, but still claim to max around 20mph. Although it will have more torque, the extra HP should make it faster (in my opinion). What is preventing these machines from going over 35mph? I've noted that older machines are faster. Any ideas?

faster is not hp it is gearing and clutching. larger axel drive gears or changing trans gears will get you faster. But with bigger you will need more hp to turn them
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

Its the gear ratio in the transmission and I believe that the Argo Magnums are the faster of the bunch due to gearing changes that were made. I GPS my 88 Magnum 8x8 with the Kohler 18 on grass at 36Km/h easily but haven't tried to go much faster than that.

to make your top speed faster ,you need to take out the idler shaft and put smaller sprokets on the input OR larger sproket on the output, do you run double fifty chain or something else ??? ,do NOT change the sprokets on the axles or you will have to do ALL of them to match, the only options you have to change sproket ratios is either the trani sprokets or the idler sprokets, i did the idlers on one of my 6x6s and it now does almost 50 clicks and that is nearly insanely fast, ive had many of the tranis apart from the early eighties to the late ninties and never seen a gearing difference but the tooth sizes were changed several times by the engineers trying to adress a weakness in the trani of all argos ,i believe that is why they have re-engineered the entire trani in the new ones , if you need more specific help in this let me know, i can calculate the sproket sizes for you, each tooth on a sproket decreases or increases the overall ground speed by a specific percentage ,but you need to watch chain clearences as well
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

The later argos, pre avenger and frontier, at least back to the mid '90's, had three different ratio trans available. There is a gear set that will swap out. I should say at least two, the MU and GU, code stamped on the top of the trans case. There is an H, I guess that's what the early vanguards that were so fast had. G lowest, M higher, H highest geared/lowest ratio. I think the M is most common, but my distributor ordered all Responses with the G to make sure they had enough power.

Making the bigfoot faster, he could spend $75 on valve springs, retainers, and pushrods and run 4500 rpm safely with the govenor bypassed.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Thank to all for your responses. Trebmaster, that makes sense now. I would love to get into the tranny and tinker with the gears, but this is something I've never done and probably shouldn't. Knowing my abilities, I'll probably put something backwards or end up with some extra parts. As you can see, I'm not very advanced in the world of mechanics. I can do some tweaking, maintenance, and light troubleshooting only. Too bad I live so far South, I would have loved to team up with any of you guys and paid to have done this together. It looks like I'll have to settle for my lightning fast 18mph Argo. I can almost run next to it.

for some its not how fast you go ,it where you can or shouldn't go lol. i always find the place it looks like i cant make it, and try it. i guess thats why i dont like to ride alone.

Put bigger tires on it :-)

Hey RobinHood, thanks for the post regarding making my Argo faster. I've read your response a few times and I'm now realizing that you are referring to the sprockets that are external to the transmission. Are the idler sprockets the one's that have the double-chain coming out by both sides of the transmission? Did you change the sprockets on the top of the chain (coming from the transmission) or the bottom of the chain (connecting to the shaft) ? I'm very interested in this as this is something that I may be able to handle. If you happen to have a picture and identify the input and output sprockets, it would be helpful. Also, where could I buy the suggested sprockets? Thanks.

I removed my buddies governor and installed a rev kit on his Bigfoot and it's a different machine. Much higher top end and better throttle response. blows by me in the water also.

+ Reply to Thread