removing rust

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: removing rust

removing rust

I read a post quite some time ago about a forum member with a very rusty frame and axles. He used a water solution of baking soda and water.The end results were amazing!! Does any one on the forum remember where this post is?
    Last edited by mudbug3; 03-28-2010 at 01:43 PM.

After I posted this, I typed in a different search word and found the post I was looking for.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...info-pics.html

The process of electrolysis for rust removal may seem difficult, but there is really nothing to it. If you are in a hurry, then sandblasting is by far the better option. But if you are like me and just have a few minutes here and there at very random intervals, then electrolysis is a nice alternative. I made a real quick video.

Basically, here is what you need:

- Small roll of steel wire
    - Small roll of copper wire
    - 4 small hose clamps
    - A plastic tank with no exposed metal on the inside
    - 4 pieces of rebar long enough to stand on end and stick out of the water about 6 inches
    - OxyClean mixed into the solution at a consistency of ¾ cup per 10 gallons water
    - A wire brush to clean the parts off
    - A putty knife to scrape the crud off of the rebar after every 3-4 uses

You can watch the video for more info. I like to keep this unit near my utility tub so that I can wash all the crud off of it afterwards. I let it dry for just a few hours and immediately apply rust converter to the bare metal.

Last edited by simpleton7016; 03-28-2010 at 05:50 PM.

simpleton7016

Is a solution of Oxyclean and water more effective in removing rust than a solution of baking soda and water?

mudbug3,
    The baking soda is acting as an electrolyte. You can use lye, salt.... Anything to make the water conduct electricity. You could use well water with no electrolyte. Some things like baking soda and salt will produce harmfull gases. Salt is chorine gas, cant remember what baking soda produced but I recall it was also toxic. If your outdoors you should be fine though.

Sorry, I am not a chemist. I don't know why Oxyclean, that is just how I learned. I do recall reading that the gases are potentially explosive, but for our purposes and in these small amounts, I have not had any incidents in my basement....yet.

arm and hammer laundry soda is reputed to be the safest thing to use. i can only find it online, but stumbled on a site about electrolsys that told how to make it. take baking soda and spread it on a cookie sheet. bake it at 400 for an hour and you have laundry soda. i too am no chemist and have no idea if it really does a thing, but the site i was reading said something about it releasing an atom of something when you bake it?????? i did that and it seems to be working fine. i used mine to strip the frame on my rokon. the more electrodes you can have in the water the better it works. i have 4 in my tank(used lawn mower blades), and it will strip most anything in 24 hours. *NOTE* electrolsys produces hydrogen gas, so no smoking, grinding, and unplug the battery charger BEFORE you unhook one of the battery leads
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I,m really looking forward to trying this rust removal trick. I have an old Hustler frame that is covered in rust.

I played around with it a lot outdoors. I had a 5 gallon bucket full of crap and it would bubble a mess of crap after a while. Since the bubbles are not contained in anything you can put the torch to them and holy cow. Crazy stuff. I also made some hydrogen mini bombs. I got a bottle cap and drill a hole in it just big enough to stick 2 wires in it. I had the wire close to each other to be the igniter. Then in the 5 gallon bucket I had the hydrogen cell (a collection of stainless plates running +/-/+/-/+/-). It would bubble the hydroxy. So I took a bottle full of water and had it in the water upside down. The bubble would go in the bottle and the water would escape. Then when all the water is out you have it full of hydroxy so then while under water put the igniter cap on. Run about 30 ft of speaker wire to the cap and hook other end to a cattle prod and ka boom! Dont try this at home kids. Could be very dangerous! But that is why its cool.

Here was my last version of the hydoxy fuel cell. Kind of off topic but same idea.

also, if you can find it, pure graphite is supposed to be the best electrode. I did a small search for it once and could not find a reasonably priced supplier.

+ Reply to Thread