$50 Super Charger (the strange red button explained)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: $50 Super Charger (the strange red button explained)

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir

$50 Super Charger (the strange red button explained)

This is not a new idea by any means, and I know there has been discussion about it in the past, but I was talking to the guy that has the HHO setup in his S-10, and he got to telling me about how he is trying to get more performance out of it for the least $$$ possible. He tried what I am about to share with you all and saw a considerable increase with it. So I said to myself: "self... if he did that on an S-10, then what would it do for an 18 hp horrizontally opposed twin" I said that to myself I did. The next time the wife was in Wally World I had her pick up what would be the cornerstone of this experiment. So let's get to it.

Did you know that the fan in the common blowdrier is powered by a 12 volt motor? Well I must say I didn't. But as soon as I got my hands on it, the drier went to the shop for dismantling and to see if it would run off a 12v charger, it did.After taking a few measurements,I went to Lowes and bought a few flexible rubber fittings. I then built a base that would mount to the carb, a flange for the air filter, let me say that the original one didn't allow enough flow, and I could feel almost 0 air movement once everything was tied together before installing it on the carb, which initially caused me some concern. I bought a 2" to 3" and a 1 1/2" to 2"bell reducer and a couple of elbows that haven't been used yet.

So I'll post these now and let's get our heads together on this. I can say that after changing to a new cannister filter there has been a definite increase in performance. Also Noel woods is already thinking about a bilge blower, and I have it on fairly good authority that would be the way to go- WAY MORE CFMs Dang -ain't even had it on a week and I'm already thinking about how to upgrade my upgrade! Ain't that just perfect, oh well enjoy...more to pics come!

good idea! i wonder how it would do on a 400 JLO? i need a few more ponys for ashtabula this year. we put a 4" blige blower in the intake hose of a mid 90's V6 Mustang, and it made a huge difference! the car was a dog going up hill but when you turned the fan on, you could really feel it pick up.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

So you are building a electric turbocharger? That is awesome. I love the stuff you do!!

I have seen a production unit somewhere for an automobile. Same idea but with a larger blower.
    Found these plans on ebay
    ELECTRIC TURBO TURBOCHARGER DIY PLANS SUPERCHARGER : eBay Motors (item 160423262419 end time Apr-17-10 22:09:23 PDT)

Here is a charger and it talks about a cheap $35 unit not performing and that is the one I have seen for sale. Maybe it will work on a small motor better?
    NEW ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER TURBO TURBOCHARGER BOOST PSI : eBay Motors (item 130383048655 end time Apr-18-10 18:49:25 PDT)

It took a while to build the flanges, worked on it nearly all day Sunday, then had to modify it Monday to fit the new filter. I wanted to go with a K&N conical but they are heavy and the fan housing itself acts as a coupling, also a hole had to be drilled to mount it so that would void the warranty. The K&N would have cost over $60, I only have about $35 in what I'm running now, because I didn't use all the fittings- yet.

Good luck on the plan. I toyed with a blower motor once briefly, with no luck. They make and sell what I'd describe as an electric, bladed inline fan like some of the marine vent fans. This is for cars, draws 50 amps and makes about 1 psi boost. Is for intermittent use only. Well at 50 amps it'd have to be intermittent.

If the carb has an external bowl vent, it needs to be hooked into the pressure.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Good luck on the plan. I toyed with a blower motor once briefly, with no luck. They make and sell what I'd describe as an electric, bladed inline fan like some of the marine vent fans. This is for cars, draws 50 amps and makes about 1 psi boost. Is for intermittent use only. Well at 50 amps it'd have to be intermittent
    I'm already running my unit, the testing I mentioned is a timed tire drag through a measured distance. I have a big ol' skidder tire, will lay out a distance of 100' or so, tie on to the tire with a long cable, then drag the tire without any boost, then repeat with the boost. I'll do this several times, over a couple days, and see what results I get. I can already say, without a doubt that there is a noticeable difference. But I want some solid evidence, no guesswork, then if some of you guys (and you really should)try this we could create a standard test. I really want to get my hands on a bilge blower...soon

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    good idea! i wonder how it would do on a 400 JLO? i need a few more ponys for ashtabula this year. we put a 4" blige blower in the intake hose of a mid 90's V6 Mustang, and it made a huge difference! the car was a dog going up hill but when you turned the fan on, you could really feel it pick up.
    Try a bilge blower, they have to evacuate all the fumes in a lot of area in a few seconds to meet boating safety regs. This means a ton of cfm, and I'm sure you have heard this but airflow means horsepower! AND they run on 12v also! How sweet is that?

Did a little looking around for bilge blowers, will probably be ordering one of these soon:

Bilge Blower In-Line 3'' Water Resistant by Attwood

It won't be much trouble to adapt this to my current setup. Plus it has legs built on which will make my final setup even easier to install.

I use a blower similar to that for my argo brake fan. It's a Rule brand, same cfm, 145. Rule also makes a 4" about 240 cfm. What I noticed is they flow well when not restricted, but drop way down when restricted (place your hand in the flow), especially the pressure drops. The 4" 240 cfm held up better than the 3" pressure and flow wise. The stock argo squirrell cage fan had better pressure when restricted. The Rule 145 cfm 3" matched or beat the argo fan in flow after I replaced the ribbed duct hose with a smooth aluminum flex tube. This project came about when I needed more air to vent my internal tailpipe. The Rule uses less than 1/2 the amps the argo fan does.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Another thought is to use the squirrel cage from an auto a/c unit, lots of airflow, but I'm not sure what pressure it would generate. It would also draw several amps, and be a lot heavier than these. There would also be more involved in getting it hooked up, which would add even more weight. But if the gain in performance was enough it would be worthwhile.

+ Reply to Thread