$50 Super Charger (the strange red button explained)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: $50 Super Charger (the strange red button explained)

Snake oil!!! so is HHO...
    Show me a boost gauge inline between the "hair dryer supercharger" and the carburetor. Prove there is actually boost under acceleration........ there won't be because the air can escape back out the way it came..... If you have ever looked at a real supercharger you would understand. and turbos run at 100,000rpm + and have minute clearances between the impeller and wall so air can't go back out the way it came... sorry its an old thread but don't want to see folks wasting their $$

look close at the engine on the right...thats a supercharger
    Attached Images

I think Marc's smog pump is the only real idea so far, they have worked on smaller engines, I doubt they'd feed a v twin.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Snake oil!!! so is HHO...
    Show me a boost gauge inline between the "hair dryer supercharger" and the carburetor.
    Prove there is actually boost under acceleration........ there won't be because the air can escape back out the way it came..... If you have ever looked at a real supercharger you would understand. and turbos run at 100,000rpm + and have minute clearances between the impeller and wall so air can't go back out the way it came... sorry its an old thread but don't want to see folks wasting their $$
    Soo... you're saying that this little 12volt fan produces enough volume/boost to blow air back out during the intake stroke? I never claimed that... Think about what you are saying...

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    look close at the engine on the right...thats a supercharger
    For REAL??? so that be isn whut onna dem tangs be's lookin lak...

Well... snake oil huh... seems I was dissed and missed it. Was looking back over this thread and came across these little gems. There's always somebody who for reasons of their own feel compelled to whip it out and start a I-know-more-than-you peeing contest. I don't know your backgrounds so I will not make the same presumption you apparently made and therefore will presume that you guys have knowledge of blowers, turbos and their function. I never tested with a boost gage (although I did have access to one at the shop where I worked at the time) I saw no need to when I could plainly feel the difference when I was sitting in the machine with my hand on the throttle which is something you can't say. Next I'll say no one on this forum has to ever spend one penny of their $$ based on my statements, that is a matter of personal curiosity and choice. IOW if you like the idea and you want to try it for yourself then by all means do so, but don't do it just because I say so, further more don't NOT do it just because someone else disagrees.

Now since you guys very apparently don't know much about my background allow me to explain; engine builder/engine final prep/engine machine work/ tool and die machinist... I was the guy that our fuel, engine, axle, dyno(transmission and engine), transmission/transfer and finally FUEL shops all came to when they needed tooling built to do their work, or ran into a problem that they had to resolve. So I'll keep this simple and not get to technical and we'll only deal with the subject at hand. How many turbos or blowers have you guys ever torn down and rebuilt? How many have you built tooling for so they could be torn down then rebuilt? Would you know which end of a Detroit blower roller is the front? Have you ever done machine work to convert low output fuel pumps to high output, or built fixtures to do the conversion? I well understand the tolerances and clearances involved in both blowers and turbos, Ever seen what a blue paper shop towel will do to a turbo when sucked into it? Ever seen a cat turbo so hot you can see turbulence ripples on it, do you know the various causes of this? Our dyno guy used to say "I got it so hot you could see through it." Do you know what an incorrect roller end clearance will cause a Detroit blower to do and how to recognize this BEFORE it does it? To all of the above I have and more. You do understand that when your intake valve is closed no amount of boost or pressure is going to force air into the cylinder? You do understand that anything that helps move air through the carburetor and intake manifold into the cylinder -even if that is no more than rounding a few sharp corners- will increase performance, correct? And yet you say that an inline electric fan forcing air (however little that may be) through these will do absolutely nothing? Think about what you are saying...

Now that we all know that the other guy knows a little about this subject let me say this: you will never smoke all six tires with a flat head 18 hp briggs and any "blower" you want to put on it, agreed? I never made a claim that this rig would do anything other than give a noticeable gain in response and a quicker from "idle to wfo" time. We ain't trying nor claiming to pull no 7 second quarters here understand, we just want to help an old tired 18 hp flat head briggs climb up a creek bank a little better, see? Agree or not this rig did do that! I no longer own it, and probably if I dug deep into my note case, I could still dig up all the time records I made of it climbing hills, creek banks and dragging a tractor tire. But I wont bother... I no longer own the blown 950, nor any of the parts snake oil
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Wow what happened to resurrect a 2+ year old thread.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Wow, I completely missed this thread....This is a fantastic idea!!! A year or so ago I had a little thread on putting a small turbo on a V-twin, but that idea never got off the ground because it was over my head. Sorry that it takes a rant to revive this thread, but I'm glad you did! I'm all for continued discussion of low-cost forced induction on a 6 wheeler... Did you ever try one of the bilge blowers?
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Hey Drew, don't really mean to rant and had I seen those replies way back when I would have replied in kind at that time. To answer your question I was replying to snowman's winch thread on here, explaining how much work I had in my old 950 and wondering about it's disposition and wound up on this old thread and found those. And since they kinda took it on themselves to "school" me then I think they need to know that I know a little bit about these things, inside and out-literally.

Stonewall, I never did try the bilge blower, I wish I had but had started saving to build my shop and didn't buy so much as a cheese burger out of the fund from Jan '10 till it was finished, 22 months, wound up selling both my machines to top off the cash pool to build it. Moved into the new shop in October of '11 completely paid for with cash. It's about priorities and although I miss my 950 I love the new shop.

Now, lets talk about the bilge blower first let's be clear: I'm not trying to get you to spend any $$ here...ok. There was absolutely no gain until I got the over sized filter, which btw gives a significant gain by itself. The fan is not going to do what a supercharger does, it is however going to maximize the amount of air your cylinder will draw during it's intake stroke. If you were to run a "real" super charger you would have to re-jet your carb to keep from leaning out. I think of this mod more along the lines of cowl induction without the speed, kind of an electric ram air induction. When you think of that way it makes a little more sense.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

I like it Bushcutter, easy on the pockets yet very effective, and I dont care what anyone says or thinks,,, an idea that is thought of, deserves to be listened to at the minimum!! Your $50 super charger will help the engine run at a more consistant rate, ensuring that you get the most bang out of every stroke of your engine. Along with the forced air, I bet the air temperatures probably dropped a few degrees also with the speed that the air is traveling. Cold air is an engines best friend, unless the engine is a cold diesel! Im surprised I haven't seen any threads bout shooting a 1/2 pound or so of Nitrous to the twins, or has there?????
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

dyno_filtered_sm.jpgblower.jpg
    this is what you can get from al hodge....probably will be my next engine when i scatter the one i have now

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    Soo... you're saying that this little 12volt fan produces enough volume/boost to blow air back out during the intake stroke? I never claimed that... Think about what you are saying...

For REAL??? so that be isn whut onna dem tangs be's lookin lak...

Well... snake oil huh... seems I was dissed and missed it. Was looking back over this thread and came across these little gems. There's always somebody who for reasons of their own feel compelled to whip it out and start a I-know-more-than-you peeing contest. I don't know your backgrounds so I will not make the same presumption you apparently made and therefore will presume that you guys have knowledge of blowers, turbos and their function. I never tested with a boost gage (although I did have access to one at the shop where I worked at the time) I saw no need to when I could plainly feel the difference when I was sitting in the machine with my hand on the throttle which is something you can't say. Next I'll say no one on this forum has to ever spend one penny of their $$ based on my statements, that is a matter of personal curiosity and choice. IOW if you like the idea and you want to try it for yourself then by all means do so, but don't do it just because I say so, further more don't NOT do it just because someone else disagrees.

Now since you guys very apparently don't know much about my background allow me to explain; engine builder/engine final prep/engine machine work/ tool and die machinist... I was the guy that our fuel, engine, axle, dyno(transmission and engine), transmission/transfer and finally FUEL shops all came to when they needed tooling built to do their work, or ran into a problem that they had to resolve. So I'll keep this simple and not get to technical and we'll only deal with the subject at hand. How many turbos or blowers have you guys ever torn down and rebuilt? How many have you built tooling for so they could be torn down then rebuilt? Would you know which end of a Detroit blower roller is the front? Have you ever done machine work to convert low output fuel pumps to high output, or built fixtures to do the conversion? I well understand the tolerances and clearances involved in both blowers and turbos, Ever seen what a blue paper shop towel will do to a turbo when sucked into it? Ever seen a cat turbo so hot you can see turbulence ripples on it, do you know the various causes of this? Our dyno guy used to say "I got it so hot you could see through it." Do you know what an incorrect roller end clearance will cause a Detroit blower to do and how to recognize this BEFORE it does it? To all of the above I have and more. You do understand that when your intake valve is closed no amount of boost or pressure is going to force air into the cylinder? You do understand that anything that helps move air through the carburetor and intake manifold into the cylinder -even if that is no more than rounding a few sharp corners- will increase performance, correct? And yet you say that an inline electric fan forcing air (however little that may be) through these will do absolutely nothing? Think about what you are saying...

Now that we all know that the other guy knows a little about this subject let me say this: you will never smoke all six tires with a flat head 18 hp briggs and any "blower" you want to put on it, agreed? I never made a claim that this rig would do anything other than give a noticeable gain in response and a quicker from "idle to wfo" time. We ain't trying nor claiming to pull no 7 second quarters here understand, we just want to help an old tired 18 hp flat head briggs climb up a creek bank a little better, see? Agree or not this rig did do that! I no longer own it, and probably if I dug deep into my note case, I could still dig up all the time records I made of it climbing hills, creek banks and dragging a tractor tire. But I wont bother... I no longer own the blown 950, nor any of the parts snake oil
    Well, after reading this I guess it is fair to say I have a bit more experience than you on this subject so I will add my opinion based on what I have seen. Normal intake will cause draw or a slight drop in atmospheric pressure in the air cleaner. A little fan may help flow but will not cause boost like the other power adders you are comparing it to that would actually cause positive pressure in the intake and push air into the cylinders. Could you feel a difference? My guess would be no and certinally not under load given the small amount of difference it would make and how much poer is lost going to the wheel. Not much different than those little twirling gizmos con men try to sell. It's easy enough to throw on a chassis dyno to test if you want, or at least it is for me on mine.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

+ Reply to Thread