what would be the most significant advancement in 6X6 or 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

View Poll Results: what would be the most significant advancement in 6X6s or 8x8s

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • get rid of the sore back with factory suspension

28 45.16%
  • get rid of the chains and sprockets with factory shaft drive

26 41.94%
  • none, they are fine the way they are

8 12.90%
  • other , please explain

8 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what would be the most significant advancement in 6X6 or 8x8

what would be the most significant advancement in 6X6 or 8x8

so ive had some conversations with others about what would be the most significant advancement in 6X6 or 8x8 as they are without changing the basic appearence or size or general layout , we all like the looks and general feel of Argos and Maxs but what would be the most significant advancement , i was suprized at the answers i got and maybe i'm "barking up the wrong tree" so i send this out to all of you .
    as far as i know i made this a public poll so that even guests can vote
    Last edited by Robinhood02; 04-16-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

Explanation to "other" would be more ground clearance and room for bigger tires and increased water speed. Just my thoughts.

My choice would be increased water speed too. Maybe bigger tires would give a softer ride?

Diesel, hydraulic drive, with suspension.

Charlie,we all have our own ideas on "other" of course.I was told by an Argo dealer some years ago that all kinds of improvements are possible but NOT without impacting an already price saturation point.Overall I think they are all a pretty good compromise on the things we want.I would like to see more cost effective "accessory bundling".For example Argo does not bad on bundling skid plate and bearing extensions.But if they could recognize that an amphibian without a winch is nearly useless in reaching the limits they are capable of.Perhaps they could have "trim levels" similar to automotive and offer lets say what now would cost $5000 if purchased separately for lets say $3500.The base prices are pretty attractive so for instance boost the base price a bit get some profit there and then offer better prices to those who want more flexible usage such as windshields,tops,tracks etc.There is an enormous quad market and North America has aging populations tired of getting mud all over them,getting wet in the rain and parking them when snow comes.The amphibians can take a huge bite out of the quad market in the next few years,their weakness is in the marketing.In short better marketing,accesory bundling and an emphasis on maintenance schedules increasing reliability .I believe it is the maintenance that restricts their widespread usage.We all here know that these machines are where its at, but most people don't. They should concentrate on reduced maintenance through better chains, sprockets and bearings.Get the volume of sales up and the prices down. My 2 cents worth.

I voted for factory suspension especially if you could keep the width the same with a remolded lower tub.

On the topic of other: I would like to see a turbo and fuel injection on a v twin to get the power of a good old two stroke. Also seems like there should be a tire design that would propel better in water, possibly designed by computer simulation.

larger tires under the argo line-up; 2 speeds transaxle in the Max IV

(I own an Argo 8x8 but dream of a Max IV that are simply non existent here in eastern Canada)

edit : I'm even considering selling the 8x8 and get a reasonably priced MAX IV on Craigslist Upper NY/VT/NH area
    Last edited by smog; 04-17-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Reduced mainetance could be acheived by use of automatic bearing greasers McMaster-Carr and chains and sprockets would last forever in an oil bath resevoir. These should be easy mods for the factory. I personally think suspensions would sell many more units. Combine that with larger tires = more ground clearance = happy buggyman.

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    I think they are fine the way they are. I don't think they need any costly changes. The manufacturers should add remote grease fittings so the bearings can be easily serviced, and auto chain oilers to prolong the life of the chains. Suspension is a waste of time on these vehicles. Apart from the cost, extra weight and reduced water ability, it would only add more headaches with extra maintenance when being used in mud and swamp. Amphibs would then suffer the same problems as quads and side by sides with the constant CV maintenance and worn out suspension pivots. Adding suspension to an amphib would be moving away from what they were originally designed to be. If you want to go fast with a comfortable ride, get a side by side. If you want to go where those machines struggle, get an amphib. Amphibs were designed to be simple and work in mud all day every day. If you use a conventional vehicle in mud all the time they are very high mantenance and costly to keep going. In the worst mud and swamp, no quad or side by side can be compared to an amphib.
    Last edited by AussieMax; 04-17-2010 at 07:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread