Vanguard 18 HP Oil

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vanguard 18 HP Oil

Vanguard 18 HP Oil

Hey Guys,

Any recommendation on oil for a Vanguard 18 HP Engine? I now have about 10 hours and was going to do the first oil change.

Thanks,
    Rutledge

I use a basic SAE 30W oil but a lot of guys run synthetic also. Briggs actually suggests several different oils based upon the temperatures in your area and they have them in this convenient chart. The synthetic 5W-30 seems to cover all aspects:

You can also check their web page near the bottom under "oil recommendations"

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/ma.../changing_oil/

I'm sure others will chime in as well.

I think straight weights are a good idea, because the polymers that make multiviscosity oil work, break down and the oil thins. I run snythetic 10-30 but change it very often.

I have a couple part #s for non briggs filters if anyone wants them.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Oil Filters

Rodger,

I would like the part numbers for the non-Briggs filters when you have the chance.

Walmart 4967 I think this is a cheap, short Fram. Never seen it or used it, but others do.

I use a bosch 3330 a mid grade 5-6$ filter, also longer.

I would use a purolator Pure One if I took the time to cross # it. Napa and Wix good also.

That Vanguard will last forever if you change the oil and filter often. When I went through mine, it still had the cross hatch in the cylinders at around 175 hours.
    Last edited by Roger S; 11-20-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Hi Everyone,
    Warrning about oil filters on the Vangaurd. If you use a aftermarket oil filter be sure it has the check valve inside it. My Briggs rep. has told me that they have had Vangaurd engines fail early because the customer used oil filters that fit and look the same but do not have the check valve inside. For the few bucks you save by buying a aftermarket filter it is not worth the high price to replace the engine. Matt

Thanks for the great tip, Matt. I was just going to replace my filter with an aftermarket one.......now I will definetley steer clear of that.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Matt should be concerned about whether his kohler has oil pressure on the inclines he's been cranking it up to recently.

Hi Roger,
    You are right!!! I have been putting it to the test. The new Kohler 40 HP has a dry sump oil system that allows the engine to run at extreme angles.

Matt

That's neat, Matt, that's what it needs!

I wonder if the filter problems the briggs rep saw were on verticle shaft vanguards, I assume the filters lay horizontal on them, and a cheap quality anti drainback valve could let the filter lose some oil overnight. That's why I buy at least a mid grade filter. Some of the online filter reviews are interesting, where they cut them apart and compare.

+ Reply to Thread