16 HP Tecumseh rebuild tips (hot rodding)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 16 HP Tecumseh rebuild tips (hot rodding)

16 HP Tecumseh rebuild tips (hot rodding)

I am not a great small engine guy, but I have some training and experience with old american engines, and I have a few hot rod tips that I am pretty comfortable with.
    What can I get away with on this 16hp OH160. Some thoughts I had:
    Will it overbore to a OH180 piston?
    Oversize valves?
    Super stiff valve springs?
    Windage tray do any good?
    How about a little port and polish on the head?
    I am not experienced with small engines, and I don't want to change it to the point where I am screw it up and it won't act right.
    What are the top ways to get performance out of these little buggers without sacrificing service length?
    Also, looking high and low for an OH180. Anyone ever have one in an argo? I can't afford to repower, so I want to do what I can with what I have
    Got all the pins out, and going to bolts in the axles, BTW, and I got a little electrical conduit to rework the cover. She will be ready to bust up some Caribou

No tecumseh rebuilders out there?

Well not much spare parts for the TEC anyway.

IF it was mine, I would get a honda GX390 clone in the 15hp variety then follow the (very cheap) mods from the Karting guys. they get more than 20hp out of the GX390 13hp engine and it's still reliable (keep in mind it's a cheap disposable engine)

right now I'm doing the karting engine mods to a honda vtwin clone. Shaving 0.1" off the heads, using a 10$ flywheel key to get 8 degree advanced timing and changing the governor spring for a 5000 rpm screaming vtwin.

just got a new comet clutch 94c from MFGsupply so the vtwin will go in the 8x8 somewhere next week so I can make a cold air intake and a nice low tone muffler for this engine. (it will replace a Kohler K582S 23hp cast iron chunk)

a 16hp honda clone can be found for less than 300$ and will replace the old engine easily (300$ is probably close to the total price to redo the original engine)

here is one example but look around for better prices

16HP Gas Engine With Electric Start

Engines and parts for the OH180 are very hard to find, as you're finding out. I don't think they produced nearly as many of them as they did the 160, and the builders of pulling garden tractors snapped up what they could years ago as well. I'm no expert on four-strokes, but I remember some of the builders using the head from a 180 on the 160 to make it breath better.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

wow, I did not know they had engines that cheap. I have an exhaust problem too, maybe it will be worth it to switch to the cheapie. Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by MIteyMT View Post
    wow, I did not know they had engines that cheap. I have an exhaust problem too, maybe it will be worth it to switch to the cheapie. Thank you very much
    the 15/16/17hp honda copy will be on par with the OH160 and as your argo got a 2 speed transmission, it will be slow but ok.

Do any of these import clone engines have alternators? I never see alternators listed in the specs.
    1 Hustler 880, 1.5 Coots, formerly an Imp Kadoo

I asked the guy who I bought mine from and he said it did but I ran it with no battery for a long time. When I added a battery it wouldn't charge. I know I had some electrical shorts and not sure if I fried anything then. I didn't know much at all then and still only now a little with the charging system. I ended up putting a alternator of a automotive in mine. So to answer your question yes but I cant prove it. Mine is a powermax which I believe is a duromax now.

most have a 3 amps battery "charger"

+ Reply to Thread